Sunday, January 14, 2024

8 Days 7 Nights See Iconic Taiwan Anew Tour Package via Chan Brothers in December 2023 : Itinerary for Taoyuan (桃園) - Maoli (苗栗) - Taichung (臺中) - Chiayi Alishan (阿里山) - Nantou Sun Moon Lake (日月潭) - Hsinchu (新竹) - Taipei (臺北)

Back in 2014, I embarked on my first trip to Taiwan which was a blast! I vowed to return in the near future and it's sad that it took me a long, nine years! This time, I brought along my dad and we took on a  Iconic Taiwan Anew Tour Package instead, offered by Chan Brothers

There are always pros and cons to signing up for a package and for me, it's more advantageous with my dad, given that transport between places of attractions would be easier, the tour guide can offer better insights and it could even cheaper than going on free and easy. 

Whatever the case, I am back to Singapore and joining me would be almost 4,000 photographs and videos, that would be further pared down to be shown in this blog for the next few months! Bookmark this page and, click the hyperlinks for the detailed postings once I update! 

Day One
> Shabu Shabu Dinner @ 稻之屋鍋物
> Daifukumochi from King's Handmade Treasure 
> Tao Garden Hotel

Day Two 
> Remains of Longteng Bridge
> Hua Lu Flower Home
>> DIY Tea Tree Oil Insect Repellent
>> Lunch 
>> Rose Ice Cream from Roses Bar
> Zhongshe Flower Market 
> Painted Animation Lane
> Fengchia Night Market
>> Dinner @ Nineteen House Grilled Steak
>> Yixin Vegetarian Stinky Tofu
> Freshfields Onsen Hotel

Day Three
> Tsou Veoveoana Cultural and Creative Park
>> Deer Feeding @ Sika Deer Park
>> Lunch @ O'mafe Tsou Restaurant
> Green Shower @ Alishan National Scenic Area
>> Train from Shenmu to Alishan Stations
> Alishan Gou Hotel
>> Dinner in Hotel
> Shopping @ Alishan National Scenic Area

Day Four
> Sunrise Train from Chaoping to Chushan Station
> Fengqihu Old Street
>> Hot Aiyu Drink
>> Grass Kueh from 街仔尾阿嬤草仔粿
>> Donuts from 百年檜木甜甜圈
>> Railway Lunch Box 
> Tea Appreciation (Shopping Stop)
> Wenwu Temple
> Year of Steps
> Dinner at 紅茶甕缸雞
> Einhan Resort
> Night Shopping @ Ita Thao

Day Five
> Cruise on Sun Moon Lake 
> Aboriginal Specialty Product Center (Shopping Stop)
> Strawberry Picking
> Lunch at Fan Wang Seafood Restaurant
> Gaomei Wetlands
> Big City Shopping Mall
>> Nice Cream Gelato Italiano
>> Dinner @ Chun Shui Tang (春水堂)
>> Mum, Mum Cake
> Lakeshore Hotel 

Day Six
> Pixiu Lucky Charm Centre (Shopping Stop)
> Shifen Old Street
>> Releasing the Lanterns
>> The Ice Cream Peanut Popiah
>> Jingan Suspension Bridge
>> Lunch @ Shifen Beef Noodle Restaurant
>  Pineapple Cake 蓬萊摩沙烘培坊 (Shopping Stop)
> Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall
> Yang Ji Peanut Corn Ice
> Red House
> King of Bitter Melon
> Shabu Shabu Dinner @ 新千葉火鍋
> Grand Sheraton Hotel

Day Seven
> Climb Up Elephant Hill
> Taipei 101 
> Mister Donut
> Taipei Zoo
> Dinner @ 夯・魯肉飯
> Raohe Night Market
> Stinky Tofu @ Ningxia Night Market

Day Eight
> Bangka Longshan Temple
> Bopiliao Historical Block
> Jhao Chai Taiwanese Toast
> Taoyuan International Airport
>> The Wooderful Land
>> Mata Tofu Pudding
>> Sunmai Craft Beer

Day One (25 December 2023)
Singapore - Taoyuan
Taking GRAB to Changi International Airport; according to the message sent by a representative of Chan Brothers, we would meet up at 9.55 am to collect our air travel itineraries.

As we were on a tour package, I can't go through the self service kiosk to print our boarding passes and check in our luggage; and had to join the long queue for manual counters! That's such a time waster! 

Dad hadn't taken a plane since our trip to Guizhou in 2019.
See the excitement on his face!

Slight delay for departure and we were finally up in the air! Even though we were taking Scoot, meal was provided and the oyako don passed to us was really not up to standard. Maybe it's better to just call it rice with chicken, egg and onions.

Arrival at Taoyuan International Airport and we finally met up with the tour guide and the rest of our tour mates, numbering 19 persons including us. 

First meal in Taiwan; a shabu shabu dinner at 稻之屋鍋物, which had a review score of 4.1 from more than 1,000 reviewers. Dinner was a set although we had freeflow ice cream and drinks (both hot and cold). 

Checked in to Tao Garden Hotel (桃花園飯店). I actually checked with Chan Brothers before the trip on the confirmed hotel list and knew there was a gym in the hotel. Unfortunately, it was closed for renovation! 

Not one to spend time resting indefinitely on an overseas trip, I dragged my dad out to check out the streets! As it was already closed to 9.00 pm, many shops had already started preparing to close shop for the day. 

Despite the filling dinner, I couldn't resist but to get these daifukumochis from a popup stall by King's Handmade Treasure (大王千金). So, so yummy! 


Day Two (26 December 2023)
Taoyuan - Miao Li - Taichung
Officially first day in Taiwan and as expected, our beloved tour guide, KK, gave us a good overview of the country, using an old map as she had misplaced her new one. 

Visit to the Remains of Longteng Bridge, that was part of an old mountain line; hence, the placement of two train carriages for phototaking by travellers.

The Longteng Bridge was built in 1906 but partially destroyed by a 7.1 earthquake in 1935. Another 7.3 earthquake in 1999 further damaged the remains, which were more eerie than beautiful in my opinion. And I think the metal arches installed to stabilize the remains were quite an eyesore. 

Next destination: Hua Lu Flower Home (花露農場). It was like a big educational garden theme park with pretty flowers, aroma boutiques, eateries, and even accommodation for an overnight stay.  

We attended the DIY workshop on making Tea Tree Oil Insect Repellent using natural ingredients! And before the session, there was a tour where we were introduced to plants used to make essential oils. p.s. key was to entice us to make purchases at their store! 

Typical Chinese lunch for tour groups; there would always be balance of soup, vegetables, meat etc. I am not picky and the only complaint I had was the rawness of the cabbage. 

Dessert - Rose flavored ice cream from the Roses Bar at the Flower Home. Do note that this wasn't included as part of the lunch and cost pricey at 180 Taiwan Dollars (almost S$8)! Thankfully, it was worth its price tag! 

Zhongshe Flower Market (中社观光花市) - this would be the place for those who love to take photographs, although it's not as grand and massive as Farm Tomita / Shikisai-No-Oka in Hokkaido! There were so props, like a windmill, a fake piano in the middle of the flower field etc! 

Painted Animation Lane; another spot popularized by influencers, the murals came about when the owner of a bike shop decided to paint the exterior of his shop when he found it too plain! Those from my generation would recognize many of the manga / cartoon characters. 

Such nostalgia from my teenage years! 

After nine years, I am back to Fengchia Night Market; still said to be the largest one in Taiwan! It's free and easy time and we shall be on the lookout for dinner and street food to fill our tummies! Pity I wasn't with the Greatest Kon as I am sure we can fill a way to burst our tummies! 

Settling dinner at Nineteen House Grilled Steak (google review score of 4.9 from more than 1,500 reviewers)! The steak was average and what I remember best was their incredibly tasty luroufan (braised pork rice)! And we for free flow salad, drinks, soups, popcorn, luroufan etc for a total payment of just 280 Taiwan dollars per person (S$12).

How could I reject stinky tofu in Taiwan?! Recommended by our tour guide, I made a beeline for Yixin Vegetarian Stinky Tofu, where a generous serving cost 60 Taiwan dollars (S$2.50). No regret!

Second hotel for the tour; Freshfields Onsen Hotel on the outskirts of Taichung! Aside from an enjoyable stay, the hotel had a breathtaking view of Taiwan's third largest city.

Aside from a satisfying jog in the hotel's gym, I also made use of their onsen facilities where the three pools ranged in temperature from 8.7 to 42.8 degree celcius; so relaxing! Note: I was the last person in the onsen. 


Day Three (27 December 2023)
Taichung - Chiayi Alishan
I am not a breakfast person but I wouldn't waste if it was complimentary as part of the hotel stay! Since this was a tour package, hotel breakfast was provided every day and the primary worry on my mind was how much weight I would gain once I am back to our little red dot! 

Again, a spectacular daytime view of Taichung at Freshfields Onsen Hotel. I would strongly recommend this hotel even though there weren't many shops nearby and a cemetery, which I wouldn't mind, was just about 500 meters away.  

Our first stop; deer feeding at Sika Deer Park where the deer would bow before taking a leaf from you, just like in Nara at Japan! In addition to the deer, there was also a chubby wild boar that was so cute; I almost wanted to swear off pork.  

The deer park was part of the Veoveoana Cultural and Creative Park managed by the Tsou tribe, who moved to this area after the earthquake in 1999 destroyed their homes. At this park, we also attended a live performance showcasing their culture and history, and had a chance to check out their local souvenirs.

Lunch was within the park; at this O'mafe Tsou Restaurant (噢馬飛餐廳OMafe), and they served a vegetables that had been on my mind for very long! Guomao and you can check out my review here in 2014. 

Travelling into the mountains; this shall be the highlight for my dad who is more into natural scenery rather than man-made ones. Unlike his father, the son (me) always prefers a mix of variety. 

Let's immerse ourselves in the crisp, fresh air of Alishan National Scenic Area, where negatively charged ions shall repair our body and soul! 

Visiting the Sister Lakes along the trail; they were really nothing to scream about. Nonetheless, it was a relaxing walk that I enjoyed in the cool temperature of only about 10 degrees Celcius. 

I thought this was a beautiful photograph although in the eyes of my father, it's not comparable to China. Frankly, comparing is never ending and to me, what's the point of comparison. Enjoying the moment is much more important. 

After going through tree, tree and more trees, our end point was the Shenmu station where we would take a traditional mountain train back to the main Alishan station. 

Alishan Gou Hotel (阿里山閣大飯店); although only a 3-star hotel, this accommodation was the closest to the forest trail. We were warned that hot water might not be available in the morning but I did manage to get a warm shower the next morning. 

Dinner at the hotel. Since there were 19 of us, we were usually split into two tables and the groups assigned with us comprised of a family of five (parents with three teenage kids) and another family of two (mother and daughter).

The night was still early and we took advantage of the hotel's shuttle bus to check out the commercial hub of Alishan National Scenic Area. Sadly, many shops had already started closing for the day since it was a Wednesday. 


Day Four (28 December 2023)
Chiayi Alishan - Nantou Sun Moon Lake
Waking up at 4.30am to the sound of rain outside the hotel; I feared for the worst as we had to prepare for the highlight of this tour; to catch the sunrise train and hope to see the sea of clouds said to be awe-inspiring. 

Even though conditions were not favorable, we waited until daybreak at the viewing platform that was thickly shrouded with clouds. Sleep might have been foregone and despite the disappointment; it was medicine for the soul to wake up early and soak in the cold yet cold morning forest environment. 

Dad with the old-school train that would bring us back to the train station that's super close to Alishan Gou Hotel (阿里山閣大飯店). From what I see, this train tracks functioned only for the sunrise visit and the last train, which we took, was at 7.30 am! 

I was at the perimeter of the hotel and right ahead was the platform for the train station! That's how near we were and it's a shame we had to rush off after breakfast to our next item on our itinerary. By the way, the hotel breakfast was the worst for the trip (can still fill the stomach) but KK had already given notice the day before.  

Fengqihu Old Street - I do watch travel variety shows and knew of this street! Hence, I had already done some research on what I should eat! Railway lunch box was one of them but KK mentioned it would be provided as lunch that day.

As it was still raining, I was craving for something hot and came upon this stall that sold hot aiyu! I always thought aiyu jelly was cold and according to the owner, many aiyu were not the real thing and only the real ones can make hot aiyu! Educational indeed and the drink was so warming to the body! 

Noticing that 草仔粿 (a kueh that was made with plants, hence the color) seemed quite popular in the region, I ordered two from this stall (街仔尾阿嬤草仔粿). The savory one was unforgettably good; it's similar to our local shun kueh.

Most try at Fengqihu Old Street would be the donuts from the one and only 百年檜木甜甜圈. There were many other stalls selling the donuts but this would be the best! Just try one (only 25 Taiwan Dollars, about S$1.10) if it is your first time to Fengqihu; high chance you wouldn't regret! 

This feline was so adorable! 
Frankly, I didn't even know what the shop was selling. 

Our luxurious railway lunch box that consisted of both chicken and pork! Sold at the Fenchihu Hotel, where seating was available, I noted that one cost 190 Taiwan Dollars (about S$8) and you can't bring the metal box home. I loved the lunch! 

Travelled out of the mountain to a tea plantation where we were asked to pick tea leaves! Knowing this would be part of the mandatory "shopping stops", I wasn't keen as I just wanted to get it done and over with so that we would have more time for other attractions.

Turned out this owner (I think) of 台埔茶葉竹山店 was just so darn good in marketing! We were given quite a number of tea to sample and his jovial, funny demeanor resulted in quite a number of us spending a few hundreds (Singapore dollars)! 

Taiwan is a place filled with temples and it's interesting to note that our first temple visit only took place on day four! Anyway, this was the majestic Wenwu temple (文武廟), an extremely famous one in the area.

Facing Sun Moon Lake, the largest body of water in Taiwan, I didn't manage to visit back in 2014 as there was insufficient time after we spent too much of it at Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village (九族文化村)

Before the round lake road was built, visitors could only access the temple via a long flight of steps that connected to the jetty. Known as the Year of Steps (年梯步道), there were 366 steps, each corresponding to each day of the year! Since the top was 31 December, god bless you if you were born on 01 January. 

Dinner at 紅茶甕缸雞; I was most impressed with the chicken that was roasted in the urn! Should I ever return, I would just order one chicken, all for myself! This would have been perfect with our local chicken rice! 

Checking in to Einhan Resort (日月潭映涵渡假飯店) at Ita Thao; a precinct I was familiar with since I stayed at the same town in 2014; albeit at Cherng Yuan Hotel

Soaking in the night market at Ita Thao! Compared to 2014, it seemed a lot quieter although I figured it could have to do with the fact that mid-week, would not usually be flushed with visitors. 


Day Five (29 December 2023)
Nantou Sun Moon Lake - Taichung - Hsinchu
Knowing that my dad is an early riser and I am a light sleeper, I pulled him out of the hotel to take time-lapsed videos of the sun rising behind Ita Thao, to compensate the sunrise we were not able to see the day before. 

I only realized during breakfast at Einhan Resort that there was a rooftop overlooking the calm and tranquil Sun Moon Lake. Darn, I should have made use of the rooftop for time-lapsed videos at night! 

Taking the cruise around Sun Moon Lake. Although I did something similar back in 2014, there were a few pieces of new information like the most expensive hotel at the lake which had an arch wrapped with 15 kilograms of gold foil and the summer home of former President, Chiang Kai-shek.

Another shopping stop after the cruise; the Aboriginal Specialty Product Center by 毛王爺之家. Listening to boring pep talk of lingzhi and royal jelly that was priced ridiculously! Granted quality might be better but unlike tea, I doubt I am as diligent to ingest the products.

Leaving Sun Moon Lake for a strawberry picking activities at 羊來了草莓園 (meaning the goats are coming strawberry farm). We were notified that there was weight limit and any excess would have charges. I picked eight large ones and was charged 20 Taiwan dollars (less than S$1); very juicy and sweet! 

Lunch at Fan Wang Seafood Restaurant (番王海鮮餐廳); google review score of 3.8 from over 1,500 reviewers, I loved the raw sashimi and fried cuttlefish! 

KK informed me in advance that there would be a spot while our coach was driving that had a great cityscape view of the Taichung city. She's such a sweet tour guide right?

Gaomei Wetlands - popularized by a music video of Jay Chou, what I remember from this natural attraction was the towering wind turbines which helped generate electricity, and the super strong wind that kept blowing up my fringe, exposing my high forehead! 

Visitors can go up to the 800-meter long (it didn't look that long) platform during low tide to look at the flora and fauna unique to the wetlands. Timing for the operating hours was changed at the last minute and we didn't manage to access. :(

My dad's least favorite activity; shopping at Hsinchu's biggest shopping mall, Big City! Not my favorite too and especially not with my dad as he has the tendency to be a wet blanket on things he finds wasteful. 

With a perfect score of 5.0 from almost 1,700 reviewers, I knew I had to check out Nice Cream Gelato Italiano, and I am well aware of my dad's weakness for ice cream. Loved their classic strawberry! 

We had our dinner at Chun Shui Tang (春水堂); said to be the origin of bubble milk tea! I must admit drinking its milk tea brought me back to my very first time drinking bubble milk tea at this Taiwanese eatery located in Wisma Atria. Anyone remembers the name of the eatery?

Well, a cake would be a nice dessert to conclude dinner, and we cast our vote for the mouthwatering cakes at Mum, Mum Cake; google review score of 4.8 although the number of reviewers numbered just 32. At almost S$10 per slice, it might be a tad expensive but I did enjoy it.

Hotel on Day Five would be Lakeshore Hotel (煙波大飯店 新竹湖濱館) and we were given two queen sized (two combined single) beds in one room! The hotel had a huge basement area for kids activities, including a multi-purpose room that was showcasing an ant exhibition when I was there.


Day Six (30 December 2023)
Hsinchu - Taipei 
Breakfast at Lakeshore Hotel was the best amongst the six hotels we stayed at for this trip. Those sliders were so good; I had seconds! And this is coming from a person who doesn't even have breakfast on normal days! 

I dreaded this; shopping stop at the Pixiu Lucky Charm Centre (中華貔貅館). After sharing the 'powers' of this Chinese mythological creature, we were asked to partake on this free fortune telling. Fully knowing their antics, and that I don't like to have my fortune told, I was absolutely not keen and when I was informed I can leave if I am uninterested, I immediately stood up and left. 

No prize for guessing where we were! It's the favorite place among visitors to release sky lanterns; Shifen Old Street! Yes, I did drop by in 2014 too but it was quite late and there weren't too many people. 

See how crowded it was! And it's fascinating that a car would dare to drive in given the risk of accidents! Anyway, we were also given a chance to write our wishes and release the lanterns for free since it's included in the tour. Honestly, I wasn't enthu about it since the lanterns are not eco-friendly and result in a lot of waste in the area. 

Given that Jiufen Old Street wasn't on the itinerary, I was ecstatic to hear from KK that the ice cream popiah was available at Shifen, and also pretty good. I had to get one and shared with my dad.

Self-expensed lunch at Shifen Beef Noodle Restaurant; maybe because we didn't opt for their signature beef noodle, I must say what we had were the lousiest meal I had. I should have researched beforehand as the google score for this eatery was a disappointing 2.4.

Visiting the Jingan Suspension Bridge; at 128 meters long, the pedestrian-only bridge was constructed in 1947 and the river running underneath was the Keelung River.

Another shopping stop; this time, it would be pearl powder from 海中寶真珠養殖推廣中心. I didn't even bother taking any photographs; partly also because they didn't allow. 

Snacks souvenir sampling and buying at 港記酥皇蓬萊摩沙烘培坊; this shopping stop I don't mind as sampling is key to decision making when it comes to purchasing local edible souvenirs for family and friends back home! The pineapple cake was delish, and in my opinion, better than the famous Chiate! 

Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall - been there in 2014 and caught the change of guard ceremony, again! Only new thing was the visit to the exhibition of Mr Chiang Kai-shek.

As there was some time to spare before dinner, the coach dropped us at Ximending for shopping and exploration for about two hours! I took KK advice and had iced dessert at Yang Ji Peanut Corn Ice (楊記花生玉米冰); said to have operating since 1960! 

Iconic view of Ximending! Since it was the weekend, the place was packed with so many people, including street performers and those who were participating in the election which just concluded yesterday.

The Red House - still as happening as before, with a bazaar right outside selling unique stuff that appealed to me but I was restrained by my stingy dad. 

White bitter gourd juice which I didn't enjoy back in 2014. Tried a cup from King of Bitter Melon and no, I still didn't develop a liking for it. 

Another shabu shabu dinner at 新千葉火鍋 - personally, I am not big of a fan when it comes to steamboat, preferring barbecued where possible. This was buffet style and its review score was an impressive 4.5 from more than 11,000 reviewers! 

Last hotel for the trip; the five-star Grand Sheraton Hotel (台北喜來登大飯店). Located right next to the Shandao temple MRT station and across from National Police Agency, it's convenient, and I guess, safe. 


Day Seven (31 December 2023)
Taipei 
One good thing about this tour package was that one full day was assigned as a free and easy day for us to explore Taipei, the capital of Taiwan! And the company even provided a full day metro (not including bus) pass to each of us! 

We took the train to Xiangshan MRT station to climb Elephant Hill, which I had never been to before and it was said to be an easy climb, even for seniors. 

The hill was renowned to be the best spot to capture Taipei 101, tallest building in Taiwan and at one time, tallest in the world. As it was New Year's eve, this area was expected to be crowded as the clock ticked nearer to 2024.

I was about to abandon this wet, muddy and slippery dirt path when a group of friendly Taiwanese climbers told us this path would bring us to the correct observatory platforms for Taipei 101

Thankfully, we heeded their advice! 
And was awarded a stunning, panoramic view.

Taking the proper path down Elephant Hill. Loving these Chinese characters of the Elephant Hill, which also doubled as seats for those who got tired while climbing. 

From Elephant Hill, we figured that Taipei 101 was just a short walk away and opted to check out the observatory of the 508-meter high super skyscraper. p.s. we took the train eventually given we had a day pass! 

Considering it was my dad's first time, I even topped up the ticket to secure a slot to visit the 101st floor as the basic admission was only to the 89th floor. 

101st floor was much smaller and there was a time slot to adhere to. It seemed really popular with couples given the nicer decorations that gave a fairytale forest vibe setting for photo-taking. 

Mister Donut had such a long queue when they opened in Singapore that I didn't bother joining. No queue at its outlet at Taipei 101. Bought a few donuts and I was glad I didn't join the queue in Singapore.

Taking the train again! 

Intention was to check out Maokong where I had an enjoyable time nine years ago and I felt it would appeal to my dad. However, the line to take the gondola was insane and guess what. With just two hours before it closed for the day, we bought tickets to Taipei Zoo

Time was really short but I am happy that my dad managed to catch sights of the gorillas, which we didn't have in Singapore Zoo. Another animal I wanted to see was the brown bear, which eluded me once again. 

Recommended by Super Taste(Travel Show), I am so happy to have purposely made the trip as this southern style luroufan from 夯・魯肉飯 was the best I had in Taiwan! And don't forget to order their signature fried sparerib soup! 

Just go for their basic braised pork rice; I got their bento set and my verdict was I should just concentrate on filling my tummy with their braised pork rice, and not the accompanying side dishes. 

The iconic Ciyou temple near Songshan MRT station. When you see the temple, it also means you are getting close to one of Taipei's most popular night market.

Raohe Night Market! Packed with so many people, I figured it would be hard to get food although I did manage to try muah chee from a Michelin stall. 

In spite of the crowd, I couldn't deny that the night market captivated me with its diverse offerings and I managed to shop quite a bit! It's our last night in Taipei and I still had some Taiwan dollars! p.s. the mahjong carnival game looked quite interesting.

After sending my dad back to Grand Sheraton Hotel, I decided to go out and meet up with a friend to patronize Ningxia Night Market as it's not that far from my hotel. 

My visit in 2014 to the night market was disappointing and this time round, I made sure I chose the correct stinky tofu stall; Li Zhang Bo. For my last supper in Taiwan and in such cool weather, digging into the pungent nuggets of tofu was so, so blissful! 


Day Eight (01 January 2024)
Taipei - Singapore
New Year breakfast at Grand Sheraton Hotel; a good international spread but I had to control as I preferred to fill my stomach with local options outside the hotel. Why waste the opportunity when I am overseas?!

Our flight was at 4.00 pm and there was some time for us to do some last minute sightseeing; Maokong  was out since half a day would be optimal. Hence, it's a temple visit to the almost 300 years old Bangka Longshan Temple.

Walked past the Bopiliao Historical Block that had its design and structures, from more than a hundred years ago, retained / restored. Unfortunately, it was a Monday and the block was closed. 

Friends on Facebook / Instagram had shared pictures of this Rainbow Road before and I didn't know it's at Ximending! Funny thing was I did pass by two nights before but there was an election activity and I wasn't looking at the floor.

Finally, my local breakfast, traditional Taiwanese toast, from Jhao Chai (朝柴肉蛋吐司華山店).  Intention was to check out the highly reviewed Fu Hang Soy Milk but Monday was their rest day! Whatever the case, it's fate and I was so in awe of what I had at Jhao Chai; I ordered another serving for takeaway.

Final look of the breakfast venue of Grand Sheraton Hotel from the bubble lift after we checked out from the hotel room. There was some drama that made me so pissed off but rest assured; nothing to do with the tour / hotel.

We left Singapore with two pieces of luggage; and would be leaving Taiwan with five pieces! After that sobering experience in Taiwan back in 2014, I am mindful of the risk of excess baggage and had in fact, procured an additional 10 kilograms from Chan Brothers beforehand as Scoot doesn't allow group check in. 

Exploring Taoyuan International Airport as we have so much time! The Wooderful Land waiting room was refreshing with informative exhibits, including the opportunity to recognize the mentally invigorating scents from different wood. 

Mouth was itchy; brain decided to have tofu pudding from Mata Tofu Pudding (山海豆花) and felt like having Nine Fresh Desserts; albeit in a much classier presentation. Typical Taiwanese customer service, excellent for sure, which I would miss when I am back home. 

Taking a 'sip' from the world champion of craft beer; Sunmai! The honey lager would be the kind of beer I would buy home; not excessively bitter with a touch of sweetness. Needless to say, my face got flushed for a while. 

Food this time at Scoot was better but the supplementary Taiwanese toast from Jhao Chai was what I really needed to complete the meal. Damn, I am so missing the toast! Guess I had to make do with Fong Sheng Hao (豐盛號) or True Breakfast (初早餐) for the next few months. 

Home sweet home.

Out of the six pieces of luggage, five belonged to me. Maybe I should have a new year resolution to buy lesser items whenever I am overseas in 2024. Or maybe not. 

=====

Pricing
Iconic Taiwan Anew Tour Package - S$1,816 per person
(Based on Twin Sharing and from Chan Brothers )
(Excluding Tips for the Tour Guide and Driver)

After Thoughts of the Tour Package
Even though there were the mandatory shopping stops which I usually didn't like, the flow of the tour package wasn't as packed / rushed and we did manage to cover quite a few things, which would have been close to impossible and/or tiring if it's free and easy. I think it's great to have a free day; as we did on day seven.

My tour mates were accommodating and nice folks and special mention to KK, our a bit blur yet funny and warm tour guide! Speaking English and Mandarin; she was always willing to answer my sometimes stupid questions! Furthermore, knowing my dad was the oldest in the tour; she took great care of him, even to the extent of requesting for a change in room at Ita Thao as tatami beds are challenging for old folks. p.s. often offered us free snacks too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment