Friday, June 07, 2024

Year of Steps at Wenwu Temple in Sun Moon Lake [Taiwan]

Long time ago, there wasn't a road that covered the perimeter of the sun moon lake in Taiwan and the only way to get to many places then is via a boat. 

It's the same situation for Wenwu Temple, arguably the most famous place of worship in the region. It required devotees back then to climb up a long flight of steps known as the stairway to heaven.

Now that the pier is no longer in use, the stairway was renovated into a 150-meter long path with 366 steps, each signifying a day of the Gregorian calendar.

Aside from the engraving of month and date on each step, it also showed the notable persons who were borned on the same date. I was keen to check out mine but it's daunting given that my birth month is April and it's more than 240 steps down, and then up again!

I attempted and stopped at 25 December, just six steps. Jesus was indicated as one of the famous persons but the other one listed beneath shocked me. I didn't know Empress Dowager Cixi was a Christmas kid! A search on the web indicated 29 November though. I am confused! 

Whatever the case, our tour guide signalled that it's time to go and I see it as a great excuse for not going down to the steps of April month. Oh well, fate is not on my side.  

=====

Address
No. 63, Zhongzheng Rd, 
Yuchi Township, 
Nantou County, Taiwan

Map
As above. 




No comments:

Post a Comment