Wednesday, October 16, 2024

What I had at Ningxia Night Market @ Taipei in Taiwan

My dad isn't adventurous at all when it comes to food exploration and that's such a pity when we were in Taiwan; the land of night markets! Hence, I decided to sneak out at night when my dad was sleeping, and met up with a friend to visit Ningxia Night Market! 

Stall 037 - Ma La Song Taiwan Indigenous People Pork Sausage
; with four types of skewers priced at 45 Taiwan dollars each, although you get a discounted price of 120 Taiwan dollars if you buy three.

Cold weather - checked.
Hot, juicy look sausage - checked. 

Here's my wild boar sausage! Hm.... has the serving for this shrunk since my last pork sausage in Taiwan about ten years ago? They used to be thicker. Anyway, I was further disappointed by its lukewarm temperature and its dry texture; has the cold dried out the juiciness?! 

Stall 110 - Li Zhang Bo Stinky Tofu with its stinkiness wafting a few stalls up and down the night market. I have had the better reviewed 一品臭豆腐 back in 2014 but it was mediocre! Hence, I hope I would have a better experience for this one. 

My plate of deep fried stinky tofu at 60 Taiwan dollars; and mind you, there were about 15 pieces! That's more than doubled what I got from Yixin Vegetarian Stinky Tofu at Feng Chia Night Market in Taichung

Weirdly, the stench was mild! Texture was more like hollow tau pok but the skin was thin and crisp. By themselves, I would say the pieces of tofu weren't considered my preferred kind of stinky tofu. However, what sealed the deal was the topping; pickled vegetables! 

Imagine; the tofu was an empty vessel whereas the topping of pickles vegetables was the soul! Vinegarish sweetness peppered with a light spiciness that totally transformed the dish.

My friend doesn't like stinky tofu. So single me got to finish everything by myself. And it was 101% satisfying, although the guilt set in shortly as this was supper. And I don't really eat supper given its risk of weight gain! 

=====

Address
Ningxia Rd, Datong District, 
Taipei City, Taiwan

Map
As above. 

Pricing
Wild Boar Sausage - 45 Taiwan Dollars
Stinky Tofu - 60 Taiwan Dollars


No comments:

Post a Comment