Sunday, May 05, 2024

Shenmu Station - Taking the Mountain Train Back to Alishan Station [Taiwan]

As we descended from the forest of towering trees, we saw hope in the train track under us. Although I have no issue going back to the start; I think my 70 year-old father might not as keen, especially with the sun descending in mere hours.

Making our way down the stairs, with gigantic felled tree beside us! 

The remains of of a sacred 3000 year-old tree said to be 50 meters tall and 25 meters in circumference, it was struck by lightning in 1906 and 1956; latter of which rendered it dead.

According to this information panel, the top part fell onto the track in 1997 after heavy rain and the decision was made to fell the tree a year later. 

Second part of the felled tree! 

Taking photo of the ticketing booth in the foreground and the departing platform at the back. Since we were on the tour package, KK, our tour guide would be purchasing the train tickets on our behalf. 

Toilet break first! 

Stairs were everywhere; do make the trip when you are younger! I was telling my dad that he better don't delay his overseas trips since he can still walk at the moment! Any later and his legs are going to get weaker. 

Awaiting the train, which came in intervals of 30 minutes.

Got our train ticket that cost 100 Taiwan Dollars. Shenmu actually means sacred tree in Chinese, which was with reference to the felled tree mentioned earlier.

Here comes the old-school train! Wait, it doesn't look like the steam-powered train shown on the ticket! Whatever the case, I am not that concerned so long it can bring me to my destination. If it is of any consolation, steam powered trains are not environmentally friendly as well.

Inside the train which kind of gave me the vibe of buses in Singapore in the 80s, where there wasn't any air-conditioning and seats were like covered in leather skin.

I didn't bother sitting as I was busy taking videos of the train route from Shenmu to Alishan stations! Not that much of a scenery if you ask me as there were just too many trees! 

Check out the video collage!  

Ending the post with photographs of dad! It's so good to have a willing model for photo-taking. My usual model (Alex, that is) has been showing signs of resistance to photo-taking.

=====

Prices for the Train Tickets
Adult - 100 Taiwan Dollars
Child - 50 Taiwan Dollar

No comments:

Post a Comment