Saturday, April 06, 2024

Feng Chia Night Market 2024 @ Tai Chung [Taiwan]

If you ask me where to drop off to explore Feng Chia Night Market in Taichung (Taiwan), I would suggest using the entrance of Feng Chia University as a prominent location marker! 

First thing you should do; release your bladder at a clean toilet near the university; click here for more information! You would also pass by the above shop, which I presume LGBT-themed given the numerous rainbow flags, along the way! 

Main reason why I suggested to use Feng Chia University as marker; there were just too many small lanes and roads! As I was travelling with my dad, I literally had to keep my eyes constantly on him since I am definitely much better in reading the map. 

Although termed as a night market, you find much more brick and mortar shops than mobile stalls, which would include outdoor arcade games, and many more selling food.

We were on our way to grab dinner first as it wouldn't be covered by the tour package for good reasons since a night market had so many options! I am okay to just had bite sized street food for dinner but travelling with our elderly father meant a proper meal would be required.  

While KK, our tour guide, had recommended a few places, I opted to check Google Map on nearby food establishments and decided on an eatery that's off the main Wenhua Road. 

19House炙燒牛排 (Nineteen House Steak) - my sirloin steak with spaghetti cost me less than S$12, and included free flow salad, drinks, popcorn, ice cream, soup, and even braised pork rice! Click here for details of my review! 

Go deeper into the lane and you would find more food options with traditional interior design. However, it was really quiet and I wonder if I could attribute the lack of a customers to a slow Tuesday. 

My primary objective; toilet for my dad. This would be an additional choice to the clean toilet near Feng Chia University. One thing about travelling with elderly; do cater for toilet breaks because once they have the urge to go, it can escalate very quickly.

Wallpaper above the urinals was hilarious! 

Out on the streets again; it did seem to have more people. I just realized it was only about 6pm; maybe that explained why it was so quiet earlier. It doesn't help that my family always prefers early dinner at about 5pm. 

Popularity of claw machines is not limited to just Singapore and Malaysia! Thankfully, I am not skillful enough and I always believes there's no point in spending money this way.

Shops extending their commercial activities to the walkways. I guess that's the reason why foreigners hate walking in Taiwan; the space for walking could literally be inches from motor vehicles, unlike the five foot ways we have in Singapore.

Many food snacks; regrettably, only one stomach. 

I was keen to have candied strawberry tanghulu and candied sweet potatoes but my dad wasn't keen to share with me. His nagging prowess is unmatched within the family; in fact, it intensified with age. 

This sign was so helpful as it listed down all the food found along this stretch! Knowing my dad wasn't interested to co-eat with me, I had to strategize on what I die-die must eat in this night market.

One thing I wouldn't eat, and it's very popular, was this kind of braised stall, similar to Singapore's kway chap. The smell itself was something I can't stomach.

For references, for those who are interested, like my mom and elder sister. There are a few things some Singaporeans would purposely seek when it comes to these stalls; the blood sausage and the blood beancurd which can't be found in Singapore.

Taiwanese pachinko! The concept was similar to the arcade tickets we have in Singapore although the government is clamping down given its similarity to gambling.

Shoes in Taiwan were said to be cheaper and of higher quality! Pity my mom wasn't with me as she is always on the lookout for shoes! 

One of the recommendations by KK was this takoyaki stall called "日船章魚小丸子"! Pricing was only about S$2.30 for six balls; the temptation was strong but the tummy was packed. 

What did I crave the most since my last trip to Taiwan in 2014? Stinky tofu! Although the signboard said stinky tofu, you may find other dishes like noodles and soups.

Betel nuts had a bad moral reputation in Taiwan even though they were generally used for their stimulating properties. Things had tapered down over the year but I really wanted to try betel nuts in this trip to see how they taste like! 

Another claw machine store; quiet.

Almost got a Porter brand sling bag but decided against it as I really don't need another one when my existing Braun Buffel one is still in good condition.

With its futurist theme, I was expecting some high technological gizmos! It turned out to be a customized handphone cover shop, where you can embellish your phone cover! 

Typical Taiwanese architecture.

Finally got my craving for stinky tofu fixed at Yixin Vegetarian Stinky Tofu! Loving what I had, except for the pickled vegetables that were raw and bland tasting! 

A long line for this scallion oil pancake stall but we were supposed to meet up with the rest of our tour mates and there was just insufficient time! 

For reference; the fillings the stall had and also the pricing which ranged from 30 Taiwan Dollars for a small to 100 Taiwan Dollars for a large! 

Mom would love to patronize this stall.

I was more drawn to this! Weren't these from Keen but the pricing was a huge difference as it can cost almost S$200 a pair and it's like 900 Taiwan Dollars (less than S$40) here?!

Of course, when it comes to shoes, I am a fan of Hoka! p.s. too many pairs at home. Plus I have no time to check out the selection in Taichung!

=====

Address
Wenhua Rd, Xitun District, 
Taichung City, Taiwan 


Click HERE for the Summarized Itinerary for Our 8 Days 7 Nights See Iconic Taiwan Anew Tour Package via Chan Brot

No comments:

Post a Comment