Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Lu Jia Fish Soup (盧家鱼汤) @ Soon Heng Eating House in Yishun [Singapore]

Now that I am older, I have a higher preference for healthier food and one of them was fish soup. While scrolling through social media, I came upon a post on Singapore's top ten fish soup, and lo and behold; one of them was in Yishun! 

How could I ever miss it, given that the infamous town of Yishun has been my hood for so many decades?! I asked my parents to accompany me on a Monday evening after work and right in front of the stall was an incredible queue numbering 17 persons! 

Contrast the queue situation with other food stalls in the coffee shop at this industrial building and you would understand why I was shocked with the huge disparity. 

Name of the shop; Lu Jia Fish Soup. By the time I got nearer to nice lady taking the order, I was informed that the yam rice was already sold out. And shortly after I secured my food, they were already sold out on fish soup. *lucky us*.

Usually, fish soup stalls would have only cut red chilli; over here at Lu Jia Fish Soup, there's another type of chilli that looked milkier, like watery curry. Just take one saucer and fill it up with that special chilli.

Missing from the above was another serving of batang sliced fish soup with thick bee hoon. As we queued for almost 25 minutes, I decided to go rogue and order mixed fish soup, even though I generally don't prefer fried fish in soup. 

Mixed Fish Soup - typical of me, it was simply soup with no heavy carbohydrate. I do have my indulgence too, which means I would eat up the things I dislike first. Not the fried fish; I shall attack the vegetables first! 

At S$6.50 a bowl, I am blown away by the generosity of the stall owner; there were five slices of batang fish and three large, chunky fried fish! At Chong Pang, my to-go-to fish stall was selling S$5.00 for three pathetic slices of batang fish.  

My parents and I were impressed with the quality of the fish; the sliced fish was thick and smooth whereas the fried fish marveled me with the batter soaking up soup, making every bite so memorably good! 

Soup wise, it was clear and refreshing but I did think it wasn't as flavorful as its murkier competitors, like the one in Chong Pang. Another unique feature was this noticeable aftertaste of what seemed to be Chinese hua diao wine. 

Remember the chilli mentioned earlier? It tasted like thai style chilli with that iconic balance of sourness and spiciness, and was the perfect shiok and tangy dip for the fish, be it fried or not! 

In usual circumstances, I would clean up the soup. In all honesty, the soup was a tad too bland for me. However, I would want to be back again, just to rekindle the love of batang boiled fish and fried fish dipped in the Thai style chilli. 

===== 

Address
1 Yishun Street 23, 
Soon Heng Eating House,
A'Posh BizHub, Singapore 768441

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
Mondays to Fridays - 10.30 am to 7.30 pm
Saturdays - 10.00 am to 2.00 pm
Sundays and Public Holidays - Closed
(while stock lasts from Mondays to Saturdays)

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Batang Sliced Fish Soup - S$5.50
Mixed Fish Soup - S$6.50
Thick Bee Hoon - S$0.80 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment