Saturday, October 19, 2024

Lo Bah Png - (夯・魯肉飯) @ Taipei in Taiwan

Prior to my visit to Taiwan last year, I made it a point to check out this popular Taiwanese food variety show called Super Taste (食尚玩家) and one recommendation that appealed to me was the above eatery that sells Southern style luroufan near Raohe night market!

Light board showing the dishes available for order but my eyes were drawn to the top; no 1 braised pork rice! As I have mentioned to a lot of friends, I typically don't enjoy Taiwanese mains but braised pork rice (or luroufan) is an exception.

To be honest, I was expecting a long queue given the review score of 4.2 from over 1,600 reviewers, especially given how limited the seating capacity was! 

A table wasn't available but since there were just my dad and I, counter / bar seating looking out to the windows would be fine with us. Most importantly was to fill our tummy, with good food. 

Food came out pretty fast after ordering; I was being conservative with just two mains, and one soup. Knowing we would be going to Raohe Night Market, where more food await, one of the mains was just a small portion of luroufan.

Braised Pork Rice - honestly, this was one of the best luoroufan I had so far; the fats enveloped with a delicious braised sauce almost melted in my mouth, blessed with both savoriness and sweetness that were sinfully memorable! I was incredibly ecstatic when my health conscious dad passed me all the fats from his bowl! 

Braised Pork Rice Bento - essentially the same as the braised pork rice above but with three additional side dishes, namely braised Chinese cabbage, braised bamboo strips, and braised fried tofu. This was for my dad so that he has a more balanced diet. 

Among the three, braised fried tofu stood out for being the nicest that was soaked in braised sauce and featured a juicy interior. The other two were alright; not just not cup of tea. Maybe next time, I should just select my own side dishes instead of going with this bento set.

Look at the perfectly-glistened fats! 

On behalf of Alex, I topped up with a braised egg so that I can help review on his behalf. Well, it was nicely braised with flavor although again, not impressionable. He can give it a miss. 

Signature Fried Spareribs Soup - I would usually go for soups as it filled up my tummy too quickly! Nevertheless, it was recommended by the hosts of the variety show and I think soup would be nice to warm the body on a cool winter night.

Turned out to be the second star for my meal; it was rich, tasty, and flavored like Singapore style bak-kut teh, without the pepperiness. Spare ribs were soft due to soaking in the soup after being deep fried, although taste remained good. Too many irritating soft bones though. 

=====

Would love to be back again! As this was Southern style luroufan, I was hoping to try the authentic ones when I visit Tainan next January! One thing about Tainan food, it was supposed to be sweet, which would likely appeal to me! 

Address
No. 152, Songshan Rd, Xinyi District, 
Taipei City, Taiwan 110

Map
As above. 

Operating Hours
11.30 am to 9.00 pm

Pricing
Braised Pork Rice - 35 Taiwan Dollars
Braised Pork Rice Bento - 75 Taiwan Dollars
Braised Egg - 15 Taiwan Dollars
Signature Fried Spareribs Soup - 60 Taiwan Dollars
(Nett)

No comments:

Post a Comment