Thursday, July 11, 2024

Strawberry Picking at 羊來了草莓園 @ Nantou in Taiwan

I used to travel to Cameron Highlands quite often in the past and one of the most popular activities there was to pick strawberries in one of the many farms, which I didn't quite enjoy given that we were charged based on the number of strawberries we picked and placed in the basket! 

For this strawberry farm at Taiwan, concept was similar with one big difference; we wouldn't have to pay a single cent so long total weight didn't exceed five Taiwanese liang per person, estimated to be about eight large or ten small strawberries.  

Whatever the case, I was happy that this activity was included as part of the tour package and i endeavored to keep to the limit so that I didn't have to pay extra! After taking the plastic bag from the owner, it's time for us to step into the farm! Wait, the above looked like a proper entrance yet it didn't seem to lead to anywhere. 

Entrance from the side, which I thought was absolutely weird. The netting wouldn't deter any thieves from sneaking in at night for some delicious strawberries! 

Unlike the strawberry farms at Cameron Highlands, the strawberry plants were planted on the ground, and not on elevated pots, which would have made it easier for us to pick. I am still fine but for the older generation, it's quite a feat for them to bend down and stand up every few minutes. 

No issue for my dad who is considered very healthy physically! I even consider renting a community gardening plot for him as he is blessed with green fingers! And I don't mind having fresh, locally grown greenies for my salad.

Photographs of the strawberry plants; I am wondering why they have to be segregated. I am no phytologist / pomologist but I am guessing that fruits on one plant will likely have to fight for nutrients, hence reducing individual's sweetness.

Dad with his stash! 

See the ones I picked versus the one that my dad had. Key advice for any amateur strawberry picker; the size doesn't matter, just choose the one that's red and oddly shaped. The so-called perfect strawberry shape is not likely to be sweet. 

Weighing our picked strawberries on the electronic scale. Dad's strawberries were small and didn't have to pay extra. Mine were much bigger and the overall damage for my eight oddly shaped strawberries? 20 Taiwan dollars (less than S$1); which I gladly paid for! 

A customary shot taken by KK, our tour guide, of my dad and I with our strawberries, and the beautiful backdrop of the farm and the hill right behind. 

As the strawberries were not sprayed with insecticide, we were told we could just wash the picked strawberries using the water tap near the entrance, and eat them straight! I had no intention to wait to enjoy the "fruits of my labor"! 

Sweet, they sure were. And definitely tasted better when you pick them with your own hands! Before I knew it, I had downed all of them down my throat! p.s. correction, my dad and I shared the strawberries but clearly, my oddly shaped ones were placed higher on the saccharine level. 

Want more strawberries?
Feel free to purchase from the storefront of the farm! 

=====

Address
No. 118號, Section 1, Zhongzheng Rd, 
Guoxing Township, Nantou County, Taiwan 544

Map
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment