Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Yixin Vegetarian Stinky Tofu (一心素食臭豆腐) @ Feng Chia Night Market in Taichung [Taiwan]

In my most honest opinion, stinky tofu is the best representative of Taiwanese street food and that's exactly the dish I was seeking for at Feng Chia Night Market on day two of my second trip to Taiwan.

Seeking the advice from KK, our friendly tour guide, I was made aware of this old time eatery; Yixin Vegetarian Stinky Tofu. Maybe because it was a Tuesday, there wasn't much of a queue but I soon realized there was more than ten orders before me! 

My queue number on the receipt. 

Look out for the number that appeared on the LED display. Since I am not keen to eat on the go, finding a table would be essential. Thankfully, diners didn't linger after eating their fill. p.s. picture taken after my meal; hence the displayed number was 154.

Finally got my hands on our box of stinky tofu! While it's not that uncommon to have stinky tofu in Singapore, what I had recently from the night markets in Singapore had been a disappointment, and I can't wait to try the ones from Yixin!

I think five or six pieces of deep fried stinky tofu, topped generously with pickled cabbage and shredded cucumbers! Interestingly, the stench wasn't as obnoxious as I thought it would be, although the smell was secondary to the taste.

Took a bite with the teeth tearing through the thinly crisp skin before reaching the juicy insides; the taste buds excitedly reacted to that signature yet totally irresistible pungency that I craved from stinky tofu! It was delicious although still not to the standard of the epic ones at Shenkeng

Absolutely loved the refreshing crunch from the cucumbers, which were not common toppings for stinky tofu. It's more the norm for pickled cabbage to be added to stinky tofu but the ones from Yixin were, sadly, quite bland-tasting and raw.

Remember to sort your trash after your meal! 

=====

Address
461巷, No. 2號, Fuxing Rd, 
Xitun District, Taichung City, Taiwan 407

Map 
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Stinky Tofu - 60 TWD
p.s. factor in price increase of 10 TWD from 1 Jan 24

No comments:

Post a Comment