Saturday, July 13, 2024

Mum, Mum Cake Shop (饅饅好食) @ Big City in Hsinchu [Taiwan]

When thrown in an overseas shopping mall flushed with tons of eateries, the only viable solution for me, as a foreigner, was to check out Google Maps for highly rated establishments. 

The one that caught my attention was Mum, Mum Cake Shop (饅饅好食), which had a review score of 4.6 from over 90 reviewers. With such an affectionate English name, my mind was conjuring tastes of home-made goodness!

Problem was selection of which cakes to purchase. While I can buy them in slices, I must be sensible to the fact that my dad was against me spending so much on a slice of cake and that we just had a full meal less than an hour ago. I rationalized that this would be a well-suited dessert. 


We cast our vote for Tutti Frutti, which was a pretty slice of cake filled with natural pieces of fresh fruits! Damage cost was 210 Taiwan dollars; pricey at almost S$8.00 for a takeaway cake!

Guess we are paying for the packaging! Aside from such an adorably pink box, the eatery had also provided forks (pasted on the side of the box) for ease of eating. 

There was even a good quality card slotted within the box that shared some tips about Mum, Mum's cakes! Sorry, I didn't realize the taken picture was so blurred! 

Anyway, here's the almost S$8 Tutti Frutti cake.

Despite it being relatively tall, it had just two cake layers with a thick filling which had a stronger vanilla flavor and creamier than the butter cream top! Reminding me of Japanese cakes, the texture of the cake and the consistency of the creams were perfect for each other, making me "mmmmm" with every bite! 

Taste wasn't exceptionally sweet, typical of Japanese kind of cakes and I love the outbursts of fruity aroma in every mouthful. From the above photo, you would also notice the speckles of vanilla seeds in the filling. Would I have this again?! Absolutely but maybe I should consider the their signature strawberry cake! 

=====

Address
No. 229, Basement 1, Big City
Zhongyang Rd, East District, 
Hsinchu City, Taiwan 

Map
As above.
 
List of Cakes
As above.

Website (in Chinese)

No comments:

Post a Comment