Saturday, September 07, 2024

Shifen Beef Noodle Restaurant (十分牛肉麵) @ Shifen in Taiwan

Lunch wasn't included for our trip to Shifen in Taiwan but problem wasn't the lack of dining establishments; in fact, there were just so many to choose from! 

I didn't do any research beforehand, and decided to go for the above eatery, which was somewhat off the busy Shifen main street, yet packed with customers within at about 11.30 am. 

For a shop with the name of a dish, I am embarrassed to say I wasn't keen in getting the beef noodle. Reason being we just had a braised beef noodle the night before! And I am not a big fan of soup noodles.

Braised Pork Rice - I figured that luroufan would not be a disappointment across Taiwan given how common they are. However, the expression on my face said otherwise. This was more minced pork than the fat-filled braised pork rice I am accustomed to in this sweet potato island. 

Sauce was more savory and went well with the rice! While it was only 40 Taiwan dollars (less than S$2.00), I was expecting more meat / fats and not the two pathetic spoonfuls that were insufficient fodder for the rice! 

Dumpling Noodle - Even though I am not big on noodle, my dad is and unlike me, he also prefers slurpy noodles in soup. I am more into dry mee kia / mee pok. 

My dad didn't complain about the noodle whereas my aim was only on the soup and the dumplings. Sadly, the soup was like plain vegetable soup that I could probably make myself and the dumplings were average tasting. 

=====

Overall a pretty disappointing meal. I was obviously quite upset that it wasn't good use of the limited calorie-intake we have on a daily basis. Out of curiosity, I went to check the google review for the shop; darn, only 2.4. 

To be fair, some reviewers complained about the bad customer service, which wasn't the case when we were there. And I didn't try their namesake dish. 

Address
No. 138, Shifen St, Pingxi District, 
New Taipei City, Taiwan 226

Map
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment