Saturday, August 20, 2022

Crazy Shrimp @ JODD Fairs Night Market in Bangkok [Thailand]

Having been away from
Bangkok for more than two years, there were plenty of things we missed from Thailand's capital city; one of them was Holy Shrimp from the now-closed Ratchada Train Market!

We couldn't find the same shop at JODD Fairs Night Market, which was said to be a replacement for the train market. However, there was something similar; Crazy Shrimp! I think it's a matter of a time we would find a Devil Shrimp somewhere. 

Pricing was quite reasonable; starting from 259 baht for a small, to 1,189 baht for a XXL! As there were two of us, we shall go for a reasonable portion; the medium. 

Ordering! 

Laid out table, with a pack of tissue and gloves! I hate to wear gloves but there didn't seem to be any nearby sink for me to wash my hands; which can be quite a few trips if my hands were ungloved. 

Mineral water and coke; nowadays, I would go for unsweetened drinks, including plain water. It's obvious that the diabetes advertisements from the Singapore's government are seeing results, at least for me since Alex doesn't give a hoot. 

Interestingly, are the stalls required to sell only JODD Fairs branded drinking water? Imagine if shopping centers in Singapore impose the such rule on all F&B outlets renting from them. 

Our bucket of mixed seafood! 

You have the option to indicate what you want for your bucket and the mixed selection consisted of shrimps, squids, clams, mussels, chicken sausages and corn. There wasn't any options for the spiciness though.

Alex had been craving for this! We do have similar dishes in Singapore but paying for seafood in a bag in the little red dot is an expensive affair; prefer spending the money on other stuff.

Ingredients wise; I can only write that the chicken sausages were not too bad. While the squid was soft, they tasted like the processed kind more suitable for deep frying. Prawns didn't taste fresh and mussels were average.

Sauce was tomato based that had a spicy-sweet tinge. The aforementioned combination should have been good yet it didn't quite appeal to our palate; it just wasn't flavorful enough but I needed it to enhance the other ingredients. 

I have to discuss about the clams. Among the ingredients, clams had the most quantity. There was a reason why I am leaving them for the last! 

A huge percentage of them were clamped shut and extra effort,with risk of breaking the gloaves, had to be taken to eat them. Hence, I decided to target the easier ingredients first. 

Cracked a few; meat was okay but they were sand within! Even though I might not be a proficient cook, I knew enough that these were not cleaned properly. 

Eventually leaving most of them untouched.
I miss Holy Shrimp

=====

Location
Bangkok, Thailand.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Mineral Water - 15 baht
Coke - 20 baht
Mix Seafood (M) - 489 baht


No comments:

Post a Comment