Sunday, August 28, 2022

King Power Mahanakhon SkyWalk - Observatory & Rooftop @ Bangkok [Thailand]

Unlike most people, I don't really follow the mainstream and particularly dislike checking out new places of attractions, given the potential sheer amount of visitors who are curious. 

King Power Mahanakhon, with its advantage as Thailand's highest observation deck, was opened a few years ago but I only got to visit in June 2022, given the pandemic that resulted in the closure of borders for many countries for more than two years.  

The design of the building was so out of the blue that I often associated it with Tetris, pixels etc. Given its towering height, it's hard to miss if you were ever in Bangkok. Problem is; it's hard to take photo of the building when you are up close! 

33-headded erawan sculpture outside the building - an elephant said to be the mount of King Indra, a celestial in Hinduism. Erawan is featured often in Thailand, with an Erawan Museum known for its humongous 3-headed sculpture on top. 

Floor segregation plan for the building; it's a mixed development and there's actually a hotel that looked real cool from the website. Called The Standard, I did consider a stay there but the daily rate of more than S$200 deterred me as I don't like to change hotels and to stay there for 6 nights would have burnt a hole in my pocket.

First thing that I saw when I stepped into the lobby was this skyride thingy. 

Appeared to be some VR attraction that allows one to glide in the sky, with multiple sceneries for you to choose from. I bet it would be fun and entertaining, especially for someone who is afraid of height.

Dos and Don'ts for your reference; before we take the elevator.

Spectacular! The elevator was literally video screens surrounding you, and with the movement, it felt as if we were descending / ascending from one realm to the other! p.s. above video was taken on my way down. 

Level 74 - 292 meters above ground, and as expected, the great views in front of us! Despite my fear for height, I enjoy having a bird's eye view for the surroundings; would love to be reincarnated as a bird in the future. 

Interactive map showing you what key buildings are. 

Like this; ICONSIAM, the biggest shopping centre in Bangkok that has more than 1,000 stores! While I am not that interested in shopping malls (we have plenty in Singapore), I absolutely love the unique concept of SOOK Siam at the basement of ICONSIAM

That building with a golden dome is on my to-visit list for the longest time, even before it was featured on the movie, The Hangover 2. Well, I sure hope I can have a drink at the sky bar of Lebua State Tower soon. 

Floor 75 - I was actually with Alex and other friends that day and they seemed more keen to quickly clear the observatory, to go to the higher floors. I didn't do much research before the trip and was merely a follower at King Power Mahanakhon.

Supposed to take another lift, to the open air rooftop; this time the normal one but was circular, using a hydraulic mechanism to move it. p.s. remember to take a pair of shoe covers! 

This staff member was so game for photo-taking; I invited her for another picture, this time unmasked. Fern was so sweet right?! I find that people in Thailand are not resistant to having their pictures taken, and always with a smile. That's why I love Thailand so much! 

Lift took a while and I decided to give my heart a lift; by taking the stairs and walked three floors up to level 78. I noticed an eatery along the way; the Mahanakhon Bangkok SkyBar.

Splashes of vibrant yellow on level 78 - a telephone booth and a structure with the name sky beach? Latter was a "huh" as a beach on the sky was contradicting. Nevertheless, being instagrammable is key to success for any attractions nowadays.

Half moon in the sky! 

A rooftop bar that promised amazing scenery while you chill in the great open. Good thing is that you don't have to pay extra to sit there although it might be hard to secure a table. I forgot to take a picture of the menu for reference! 

Despite the popularity of the rooftop bar, there's another section attracting a lot more people. This specific area is, hands-down, the most instagrammable spot at King Power Mahanakhon.

Nemesis for anyone with acrophobia - the see-through glass trays! 
And yes, you can sit on them, walk on them, lie on them! 

It's a drop of 310 meters should the glass trays give way. Do be assured that there was crowd control, with a limit on the max number of people allowed on the glass trays. 

Note the rules before you join the queue! 

With pounding heart beats, I needed to challenge my fear, and bravely walked across. Rule of thumb, never look down. I did a couple times and immediately; the legs started shaking.

I did get use to the height somewhat, and even looked down for a few seconds! There was still that innate fear that the glass would break though and I quickly looked up and moved to safer, hard ground after the above shot. 

Elevated tiered seating for those who can't get a table next to rooftop bar although I think these were even harder to secure given the higher elevation and that you are less likely to be blocked by heads, if you are short like me. 

And seated there did feel like you are kings and queens looking at the empire under you. Plus the bunch of your citizens entertaining you when they were on the glass trays. Note: I was one of the entertainers. 

More seating on the top floor, 314-meters above ground. The seats facing outside were sought after for obvious reasons; the ones facing inside gave the impression we needed to hold a meeting. 

More rules and regulations! 

A panorama; I should have taken for all directions. p.s. weather was great that day when we went and the timing of about 5-6pm also meant the sun wasn't as strong, and if you are lucky, you might catch the sunset too.

Check this out! 

As usual, I cannot stop being trigger happy with the breathtaking views in front of me. For Bangkok lovers, could you spot some of your favorite spots? 

I am quite familiar with this area this time. There's the Baiyoke Sky Tower, which used to be the holder of Bangkok's highest observatory at 250 meters. And there's also the golden domes of The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam, the accommodation I booked in 2018.

My accommodation this time; Grande Centre Point Ratchadamri
Check out my review here

Can you spot the Royal Palace? It's on the right. Cutting across is the chao phraya river; I am expecting my next visit to concentrate more on the left side of the river, where I believe shall unearth a lot more interesting places since it's not well explored by tourists.

Tourists do go there and the most famous attraction on the left side would be Wat Arun; the temple of dawn. For me, another place I checked out that was uncommon would be the death museum at Siriraj Hospital.

Nowadays, however, tourists would visit the left side because of  ICONSIAM. And I can understand why; the air-conditioning and that ferry across chao phraya river was fast and free. 

The southern part of Bangkok was also not as popular among tourists. Exception would be Asiatique, The Riverfront, a proper, highly structured night market converted from pre-war warehouses. 

Bangkok is so full of buildings that it's refreshing to see this large swathe of green land so near to the central area. Called Bang Kachao, my Thai friend had planned to bring us there but he had COVID! 

Sunset view although we didn't see the egg yolk.


This lady, seated alone, was biding her luck. For my friends, I think they were done with the skywalk and decided to leave for dinner. I told them to go ahead as I wanted to go toilet.

That's how I chanced upon the toilet with a great view

I don't think I caught this earlier. The pattern on the floor tiles was a map of Bangkok right? With the scenery in front, I doubt people would pay much attention to this. 

Is it just me or the sunset appeared to be much nicer now? 
Well, only one way to find out. 

Down to 74th floor, where I could be nearer to the glass panels. 
Pictures taken there would likely have lesser reflections. 

Artistic! And did you notice the metal wire casing for the staircase handles? This would definitely help in preventing people from accidentally (or may even intentionally) throwing things down almost 300 meters!

Back to level 74.

Loving the sunset! I bet the pictures would even be better on the rooftop. On second thought, I should have gone up to the rooftop but if I do so; I bet Alex would have to wait for me much longer.

Nevertheless, I didn't quite explore level 74 earlier and shall take this opportunity to, quickly, check out what it has. p.s. the chairs are moveable and I think these two guys do love views at the observatories. 
 
Binoculars; you can find them in any observatories! 

Hm.... a ledge with no people, and there's a door. No prize for guessing what I did. I had to see if I can go out for some photos. Negative; door was locked. =_=

Vending machines for postcard (sold at 40 baht each), with a retro letterbox. Is this popular nowadays? I haven't taken a pen to write in ages and I doubt the kids would know what these are for! 

Is this ledge part of the skybar? 

A souvenir shop, I guess, but it was closed for the day. That's kind of surprising as souvenirs are one sure way for visitors to spend, in addition to the entrance tickets. 

Display of notable historical and cultural attractions in Bangkok, with explanations. While I wasn't convinced on its usefulness, I guess this would be welcomed by visitors when night falls, with reduced visibility.

Wat Arun - the Temple of Dawn.

King Power Mahanakhon compared to other skyscrapers around the world. Tallest would be Burj Khalifa at 829.8 meters tall, which is missing from the above as it would have dwarfed the rest. 

Random photos.

Another familiar location; one that I would go almost on a daily visit. Hint; the green oasis right in the middle of the photo. It's Lumpini Park; where I would jog to from Grande Centre Point Ratchadamri.

Finally taking the lift down! 

As expected, the place for your photo souvenirs, if you are keen to purchase. We actually had some photos taken in front of the green screen before we took the lift but since my friends had left before me, I think the photos were taken away.

Combo pricing, if you are interested to know.

There was also a souvenir shop on the ground level; no wonder the one at the observatory was closed. Anyway, there was a wide variety from tee shirts, tote bags, caps to fridge magnets and even lego (the one in the middle was priced at 520 baht). Most importantly, the designs are not tacky.

Ending the post with selfies! 

=====

Location
114 Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra Rd, 
Khwaeng Silom, Khet Bang Rak, 
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand

Map
As above.

Website

Combo Pricing
As above. My friends actually purchased our tickets from Klook.

No comments:

Post a Comment