Saturday, May 04, 2024

Baba Charlie Nyonya Cafe - Nyonya Food, Kueh Kueh & Retail @ Melaka [Malaysia]

Amongst tourists in Melaka, Baba Charlie is synonymous with Nyonya kueh kueh and while I had heard of this popular establishment said to operate out of a home for quite a few years; it was only last October that i finally visited. 

The establishment has now expanded though; from a home-based business to a commercial unit that included both retail and dining! I am finding it difficult to blog about this but guess the easiest would be to break it into three sections in this post! 

Retail
You get a good variety of nyonya sauces, condiments, dried goods, biscuits, concentrates, and even the signature gula melaka, chinchalok etc. 

Those who missed out on getting the Uncle Lim Happy Popcorn from the night market would be happy to know you can get this delicious popcorn from Baba Charlie too! Prices were slightly higher given the middleman role. 

Kueh Kueh
If there's one thing I can't resist from Peranakan / Nonya cuisine would be their kueh (which includes desserts). Massive selection aside, they were visually appealing and could embody sweetness, saltiness, savouriness and/or spiciness! 

At Baba Charlie, the assortment was so massive; I was stuck not knowing what to buy! Everything was screaming "buy me" and I am sorely aware that I only have one stomach, and we would be also having a full meal shortly.

Knowing the dilemma from undecided customers, the cafe came out with standard boxes of assorted nyonya kueh so that you can just buy and go! Come to think about it, I could have just purchased a box and bring back to Singapore for personal indulgence the next day.

Don't be fooled by the poster. There were more than twenty four types of kueh and you may wish to note that the kuehs are while stock lasts. Good luck if you are there too late.

I tried my best not to over-order but even then; my family felt it was too much. You know what that means? I would have to eat most of them and that's not good as I generally dislike wasting good food.

In summary, I enjoyed most of the kueh kueh! Fried spring roll was crispy but too thick a skin. Kueh kosui was delicious and the same goes for glutinous rice with dried shrimp and gula melaka. Surprisingly, the not so good ones are those you can commonly find in Singapore; kueh lapis sticks to my teeth and ang ku kueh was just alright tasting. 

Dining
Now on the restaurant / cafe side of Baba Charlie! 
Do note that tables might be shared with strangers. 

I have to admit; I am not a huge fan of Peranakan food and only type that appeals to me would only be their kueh kueh. Hence, I am leaving the ordering to my family, especially my elder sister and brother in law who had visited Baba Charlie in the past.

Undecided again? You may consider the chef recommendations above.

Popiah - after the amazing Bunga Raya Popiah that we had two days ago, we were hoping to get something similar before we returned to Singapore, where popiah generally doesn't come with crispy pork lards.

Disappointing as it was more the version we get in Singapore, albeit with a rawness that likely came from the beansprouts. Writing this review six months after my trip makes me want to go back to Melaka soon just for Bunga Raya Popiah

Mee Siam - unlike soupy mee siam, I love this dry version that was spicy as hell, with a heightened zestiness with the accompanying bowl of sauce. Having said that, I do think the dry mee siam at Makko Teck Neo Nonya Cafe appealed more to our Singaporean taste buds.

Fried Omelette - this was so normal that my mom can whip up a better version. Three types of fried omelette were available; cincalok, chai poh, and chillies and onions. I figured we ordered the last type. 

Nyonya Mixed Vegetables - honestly, I have tried a lot of nyonya mixed vegetables and absolutely have no idea why people like it! They had a unique flavour similar to those canned vegetarian, which I found to be relatively repulsive. This one from Baba Charlie was no different.

Steamed Bendi Sambal Belacan - okras are known for their health benefits and the best way is to eat them steamed and slathered with a layer of onion sambal belacan! This was appetizing; the iconic rawness from the crunchy ladyfingers complemented so well with the sweet spiciness of the belacan! 

Pongteh Chicken - the chicken and mushrooms appeared to have been soaked for a long time in the braised broth that didn't feel overpowering and had that sweet, earthy aftertaste! Needless to say, both chicken and mushrooms were soft, tender and juicy! 

Best to eat with plain white rice! 

Before and after! I guess I would for their steamed ladyfingers and pongteh chicken. Maybe I would buy a box of nyonya kuehs back to Singapore next time too. 

=====

Address
631, Jalan Siantan 1/5, 
Taman Siantan Seksyen 1, 
75200 Melaka, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Operating Hours
8.30 am to 7.00 pm
(Closed on Thursdays)

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Popiah - RM 4.50
Mee Siam - RM 7.90
Fried Omelette - RM 15.00
Nyonya Mixed Vegetables - RM 12.00
Steamed Bendi Sambal Belacan - RM 12.00
Pongteh Chicken - RM 22.00

No comments:

Post a Comment