Thursday, August 04, 2022

Milkfish - Collagen Soup with No MSG, Dairy and Preservatives @ Millenia Walk [Singapore]

June to August are known as the summer months but in Singapore, said to be the country with the worst weather in the world, there were days when unexpected thunderstorms crashed through and temperature dropped a few notches down; the time most suitable for a bowl of piping hot soup.

Soup shall henceforth be the topic today and my review this evening focused on Milkfish at Millenia Walk! Milkfish is a species and I wonder how this brand is going to trademark itself in the future, should it decide to expand internationally. 

Anyway, that's not for me to worry; I was merely there as a customer who was introduced to Milkfish by a friend. Honestly, I don't even know what milkfish was although I do know its Chinese name had a pronunciation similar to missing (as in missing someone) sight fish.

Menu was relatively limited in the eatery, with the soup being the signature, plus options for grilled fishes, sides, sharing plates and combos for two and four persons. As there were three of us, we went with the combo for two and one signature soup. 

Condiments for each person; I regretted not touching the chilli earlier as it was fiery with a flavor that was like chicken rice garlic chilli, and might have been a nice touch for the soup. 

So cute right?
The ends of the chopsticks look like fish! 

Combo for Two - let's start with this oriental salad in special vinegar dressing. Looks familiar? It's quite a common appetizer for Taiwanese cuisine and I bet some of you love the original version from Din Tai Feng. This one from milkfish was spicier with more beancurd skin! 

Marinated chilled tomatoes -  I would usually leave this alone but my friend kept insisting I gave it a try. I popped one and I think you can literally see my irises expanding as I chewed through. OMG, it had a sour sweetness identical to sour plum! If all tomatoes taste like this, I bet I can eat baskets of them! 

Deep fried prawn roll - not many can beat my mom's version; these were not bad but many would likely love them better with the accompanying sweet sauce.

Grilled whole milkfish belly - my well travelled friend commented that milkfish had a lot of bones and this was a major deterrent to enjoying the fish. Here at milkfish, the staff would painstakingly remove the over 200 bones so that customers can wholesomely enjoy the fish!  Texture was mushy but the taste was uniquely delicious; having the belly part means you get a lot of collagen too! My mom would be so fond of this! 

The combo for two included two bowls of the soup too.
And choice of either rice or noodle. 

Signature Soup
- Mine was just the soup since I am not into rice / noodle. No milk was added to the soup which was made from the belly fat of milkfish, pork bones and chicken and its creaminess came about due to the long hours of "boiling, skimming and reducing"! 

Said to be free of MSG, dairy and preservatives, the soup was bursting with the sweet freshness of fish yet without the associated fishiness. Ingredients included slices of red snapper, prawn, clam, tofu, minced pork patty said to be house-made and nai bai. 

No complaint about the ingredients, which I devoured with joy! The pork patty was nice but not extraordinary. I would love to have more than just one miserable prawn, given the soup was priced at S$13.80. Oh well, inflation, and the prawn was at least decently sized.

Despite its high price, I would have to be back at Milkfish as I believe my mom will definitely take a liking for the comfy soup and the grilled milkfish! 

=====

Address
9 Raffles Boulevard, #01-106, 
Millenia Walk, Singapore 039596

Map
As above.

Website

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Combo for Two - S$44.00
Signature Soup Only - S$13.80
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment