Friday, August 12, 2022

unFashion Café @ Ekkamai in Bangkok [Thailand]

I was still pondering about the bael fruit tea at Heath Land when the above poster caught my attention; the mouthwatering desserts aside, my eyes were drawn to the word "mayonchid". What the heck was that?!

As the weather was pretty warm, we decided to step into the cafe selling the mayonchid desserts. It was a standalone building and from the look of it; kind of reminded me of a vintage structure from the wild wild west. Oh I remember, an oversized wagon! 

Known as unFashion Café (I know, unusual name), I had wanted to proceed to the second floor but it was closed; hence, we had to make do with the ground level. p.s. Free plain water! 

Some people would argue these are natural looking etc. To me, they were old, stained with some tears here and there. My work involves facilities management and in my opinion, cloth furniture is extremely dirty and requires constant cleaning.

Decision time; what to order? The menu was in English and pretty easy to navigate. Confusion was that not everything is on the menu! You have to look out for posters like the one I shared at the start of the post. Another personal frustration was that those I wanted were unavailable; like vanilla waffle, mayonchid tart or mayonchid scone. 

So, I had to make do with the above.
At least, I managed to secure the mayonchid smoothie! 

Banana Strawberry Smoothie - let's talk about the beverage that Alex had. 


Decent drink that didn't deviate from its name although for a smoothie that is from a cafe based in Thailand, I am surprised that it didn't taste sweet. Well, it's good news for Singaporeans as we always complain when things are too sweet.

Mayonchid Smoothie - the consistency of this smoothie was thick with pieces of the fruit, and the taste was sourish sweet, like kumquat. I run a check on mayonchid and it's a summer fruit "native to the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand region". Have anyone tried the actual fruit before?

Apple Tart - the cream was just whipped cream by the way. The apple tart was warmed up in the microwave I believe and it was nice tasting with a sprinkling of cinnamon powder, which resulted in an aroma I like very much. 

Again, not overly sweet and that's even for the slices of apples on top of the tart. It's not bad overall but I wouldn't say it's something I would crave for, and it's not as interesting as the mayonchid smoothie.

=====

Well, worth a visit if you are in the area, and have never tried mayonchid desserts. Let's just hope they are better stocked when you visit. 

Address
Ekkamai 10 Alley, Lane 4, Khlong Tan Nuea, 
Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

Map 
As above. 

Operating Hours
9.00 am to 6.00 pm (Daily)

Menu 


As above.

Pricing
Banana Strawberry Smoothie - 120 baht
Mayonchid Smoothie - 120 baht
Apple Tart - 100 baht
(Inclusive of tax)


No comments:

Post a Comment