Sunday, August 21, 2022

Lumpini Park - First Public Park in the Country @ Bangkok [Thailand]

The word "Lumpini" wouldn't have sounded foreign to frequent visitors to
Bangkok as it's the name of a large park located in the center of the capital, and also the namesake of a nearby MRT station.

Bangkok's weather is like Singapore, albeit hotter and more humid; hence, I don't think you would hear of me wanting to check out any park in normal circumstances. 

However, the Cavin three years ago and the Cavin now is different; I have taken up jogging and a weight loss of almost 10 kilograms means I find it hard not to jog even when I am overseas! p.s. the hotel I stayed at have a gym but I don't enjoy jogging on treadmill. 

So, I jogged at Lumpini Park almost every morning; a good move as the weather wasn't too torturing at that timing! The distance from the hotel (Grande Centre Point Ratchadamri) was almost one kilometer and I did meet my quota of a 5-kilometer jog.

I spent a bit of time taking some photographs of this Thailand's first public park, which was 142 acres big and created in year 1925 from the king's private property.   

Surrounded by towering buildings, the park is a big, green oasis that's rare in Bangkok and it was recently joined by an expanded Benchakitti Park, which was about one kilometer away. 

One thing that surprised me was Lumpini Park's popularity with locals! Many were exercising, with a spike in visitors on weekends. Some would also take the opportunity to cut through the park to breathe in the crisp and fresh morning air.

Aside from jogging, there were plenty of open spaces for young people to meet for yoga or for the older generation to maintain their health by going though the slow tai chi movements. 

There was even an outdoor gym, equipped with numerous gym equipment, shaded by the trees and parasols. The equipment looked dated and I am honestly unsure when was the last time they were serviced. 

These bars appeared safer but my stiff legs can only managed the lower rungs! Wait, double whammy as my legs are pretty short too! 

Other sports facilities included basketball courts, and even a swimming pool, which I didn't remember seeing. I remember an indoor gym but it appeared to be closed. Not sure if it was because of the timing as I was out of the park before 9.00am.

As with most parks, Lumpini Park also served as a congregation point for the elderly. Many were seen chatting with their friends at the provided tables; a bit like Singapore's coffee shops and hawker centres in the morning. 

Speaking of hawker centre, there is one at Lumpini Park

Known as Sri Thai Derm Food Center, it's opened from 4.30am till 10.00am. Unlike hawker centers in Singapore, this wasn't insanely crowded. 

Maybe because of its location and operating hours. Sadly, I didn't manage to try any of the food there as I wouldn't be able to jog back to the hotel if I were to have my breakfast there.

Old school playground for the kids. They contrasted with the ones in Singapore, which had evolved into treehouse, battleships etc. 

Chinese Clock Tower; with bariccades surrounding the perimeter, I would have loved to walk up to its upper level for a panoramic view of the park.

No idea what this weird structure was. It's called the Sagittarius Sculpture with its meaning lost on me as I thought it would be more related to Chinese feng shui stuff. Anyway, you can read more here.  

A traditional Chinese pavilion.

Another one; a stone plaque within explained that the 8.8 meter tall pavilion was built to symbolize the good friendship between China and Thailand. 


I always wonder if there is a purpose to certain structure. Is that merely a decorative marker or there's a deeper meaning to this design? 

Conveniently next to Lumpini Park and close to Lumphini MRT station, I thought SO/ Bangkok would be a good hotel for me to stay in future visits. An online check revealed that the rate per night is way beyond my budget at close to S$200.

Sculpture - women in the next three decades. There wasn't much info about this but I would like to think this sought to denounce body shaming; a message that has been gaining strength in recent years.

I like this; somewhat like kids having unbridled fun! I personally feel it's so stressed to be kids nowadays, at least in Singapore, whereby studies are almost everything and kids forgot how to have fun. 

Sculpture in front of the concert structure. 
Looks like some propaganda stuff. 

Another touching sculpture; a mother's love. It's important to have some balance here; how about a father's love even though I personally feel that a mother's love is bigger than a father's.

Singaporeans really love to complain; on one hand, I can't resist commenting it's a shame to have rotting benches. On the other hand, it's still usable and why waste the resources to make a new one? In addition, the wear and tear are beautiful marks.

In Singapore, it's common to see dogs in parks. But here in Lumpini Park, dogs are not allowed, unless it's a certified guide dog. What were the reasons for such an unreasonable rule (at least for dog lovers)?

I can only guess that it came about because of the numerous cats in the park! 
Click here for my post on the stray cats in Lumpini Park

Other 'wildlife' included the Asian water monitor lizards and the tortoises I chanced upon. No otters which might be a blessing in disguise given the controversy they had stirred in Singapore. I like them and know enough to keep a distance. 

Many fishes; well, they have to thank their lucky stars that the otters are not here. 

Auntie here was selling bread to those who would want to feed the fishes. In Singapore, this would be illegal as such actions would result in the animals awaiting for food from human, instead of foraging on their own. 

Another 'wildlife' in abundance at Lumpini Park; crows! There were so many of them and you can hear their "caw, caw, caw" distinctly in most areas of the park. p.s. don't offend them; crows are said to be smart and they take revenge. 

A small Buddhist shrine for devotees. Such display is very common in Thailand, where a high percentage of the population follows Buddhism.

You read correctly; this school is housed within Lumpini Park! I can so imagine some kids deciding to stay hidden in the school until the park closes at 9pm, and then venture out for some night exploration! 

Random shots of flowers.

Memorial for this turbine structure that can be found in the lakes of the park. Known as Chaipattana Water Turbine, it's essentially "a floating buoy that rotates slowly to pump oxygen into wastewater". Read more here

Chaipattana Water Turbine, in real life.

Statue of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) that was built in 1942 with a view of the Thai-Japanese motorist bridge and the tracks of  BTS Skytrain Silom Line.

Photos of buildings that I am unsure what they were used for and other random stuff that I was too lazy to put words to.

I jogged every morning for five days and on two days, there was a strange phenomenon. Everyone would stop whatever they were doing and stood still. I didn't want to be the odd one out and did the same thing. Turned out it was the flag raising ceremony at 8.00am! 

This really instills a level of loyalty and respect for the country among the citizens. We do this in Singapore too but only in primary and secondary schools. The last time I did something similar in Singapore was when I attended the national day parade ten years ago!  

Could you read this map? I definitely couldn't! Nevertheless, it was recently announced that Lumpini Park would be undergoing a major renovation, said to cost about a billion baht (about S$40 million)! Hence, we shall see a new look in 2025! Read here for more info! 

=====

Location
192 Wireless Rd, Khwaeng Lumphini, 
Khet Pathum Wan, Krung 
Thailand


No comments:

Post a Comment