Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Bar-B-Q Plaza @ Central World in Bangkok [Thailand]

Anyone recognizes this dinosaur mascot? 

Ever since I first visited Bangkok, I noted Bar B Gon's (as the dinosaur is called) existence outside a barbecue restaurant and increasingly noticed over the years there were quite a number of branches in the capital city! A check on the web revealed that Bar-B-Q Plaza has over 156 branches in the land of smiles.

Business always seems good and I can't help but to make it my first meal in Bangkok for my recent visit. p.s. Our closest neighbor, Malaysia, actually has 21 branches, with one at Mid Valley South Key!

Although I could have eaten at Bar-B-Q Plaza in Malaysia, I was keener to try at its country of origin. Only problem; menu was 95% in Thai! At least I managed to guess that the pipe on our table was a smoke extractor.

Despite the communication barrier, we managed to choose a set and the table was quickly prepped for our food. With no instructions, we literally had to second guess what the items were for.

Some were straightforward; this pack, likely properly sanitized given the pandemic, would contain our plates, bowls, saucers, spoons and chopsticks.   

This was a bit tricky; there was a large bottle of dipping sauce, a small bottle of lime juice, a container of minced garlic and another container of cut green chilli. Would they be used separately or mixed together to form a combined sauce? I chose the latter. 

Displayed nicely, in anticipation of our food. 

Butterfly Pea and Lime Juice - at 55 baht, this was refillable and I had like more than three glasses! It tasted familiar and within long; I excitedly told Alex it was like less-sweet Ribena with a touch of lime. 

Oolong Tea (Hot) - I didn't expect a pot! Same as my beverage, it cost 55 baht (about S$2.20) and was fillable too. Alex didn't complain so I figure the flavor was acceptable.

Beef Family Set
- frankly, it's a mix and match of a few types of ingredients like vegetables (baby corn, enoki mushrooms, abalone mushroom, seaweed, carrot, pumpkin), seafood (squid, salmon, prawns), chicken, beef, luncheon meat etc. 

I have no idea if I identified the meats correctly.
If it turns out otherwise, too bad then.

Grill and grill and grill. As the grill pan appeared to be the same for mookata, I presume it was Thai barbecue. Turned out it was "Mongolian and Japanese style barbeque". 

Ingredients didn't disappoint although they didn't wow us too. However, the dipping sauce was irresistible. Made from over 50 ingredients, this legendary sauce is the "opium" that makes customers return! 

I used it for every grilled item; and sometimes, even for those that were boiled. Personally, I would add in the garlic and chilli for enhanced palatability; lime can be removed as the sour aftertaste didn't quite agree with my taste buds.

Beef tasted best, when grilled.

So darn good, with the sauce! I am wondering and should check with my Thai friend; does Bar-B-Q Plaza sell its legendary sauce separately? I would love to get a few bottles and bring them back to Singapore! 

While my tummy was happy with the first meal in Bangkok, there were a few things that I found pretty frustrating. One, the smoke extractor didn't work well and I left the place smelling real bad. But I can let it go as it would usually be expected for most BBQ eateries. 

What I couldn't accept was that the soup rail was too narrow! I could only scoop up less than half a spoonful each time and I was irritated enough to even contemplate lifting up the entire pan so that I can pour the flavorful soup into my bowl! 

Apparently, I am not the only one complaining; view here for more information. Whatever the case, I am missing the legendary sauce; I should pop by its Malaysian branches to satisfy my craving soon.

Ending the meal with free mints! 

=====

Address
4, 4 / 1-2, Central World, 6th Floor, 
Rajdamri Road, Pathumwan, Khet Pathumwan, 
Bangkok, 10330, Thailand

Map
As above.

Website

Pricing
Butterfly Pea and Lime Juice - 55 baht 
Oolong Tea (Hot) - 55 baht
Beef Family Set - 585 baht
(Inclusive of Tax)


No comments:

Post a Comment