Monday, August 08, 2022

Shik Gaek Korean Family Restaurant @ Johor Bahru [Malaysia]

It seems that I would always go for Korean barbecue whenever I am Johore Bahru and this time; I met up with a Malaysian friend who drove and brought us to Shik Gaek Korean Family Restaurant! 

For such an obscure location on a Monday evening, I am surprised that the restaurant was about half filled when we reached. Nothing that particularly stood out from the layout and interior design; it's more like a family restaurant and there wasn't any UFO exhaust system.

Set menu selections, with options for non-BBQ. As we just had Oriental Kopi (华阳) earlier, the set would be too much for the three of us. Ala carte it shall be then! 

Let's start with ice cold beer! 
The bottle was literally soaked in ice! 

Ten different side dishes; aside from your usual kimchi vegetables, there were mashed potatoes, minced meat patties, mushrooms, tapioca. Always good to have variety. 

First basket of lettuce wasn't that fresh with black edges.

Starting with our grilling; I thought this was an induction grill at first look but someone who has common sense (apparently, I don't have) would have noticed there was a cover.

Grilling for both our M.O. Short Rib Beef and Marinated Pork Meat! p.s. the staff member would help you; something I greatly appreciate given that I have the tendency to overcook raw meat. 

Short rib beef never disappoints with a deliciously heightened tender juiciness; pork was another story altogether; hard and reminded me of grilled pork from most Korean stalls in food court and hawker centers.

Seafood Onion Pancake - what is the one thing you would likely order whenever you dine at a restaurant with specific cuisine? For Japanese, I would go for chawanmushi. And for Korean, it's definitely pancake although the issue is deciding whether to go for seafood or kimchi. 

Thin batter with the much wanted crispy skin, this was like digging into an extremely good piece of prawn cracker that was full of ingredients. There's only one downside; it's also very oily (check out my ring finger). 

===== 

Most important question; would I be back? I am actually unsure as there were hits and misses. However, it has more than just grilled meat and I was also happy with its seafood pancake. Okay, maybe 65% chance I would be back. 

Address 
185, Jalan Sri Pelangi, Taman Pelangi, 
80400 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Pricing
M.O. Short Rib Beef - RM 92.00
Marinated Pork Meat - RM 33.00 
Seafood Onion Pancake - RM 30.00 
Hite Beer - RM 26.00 
(Subject to Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment