Friday, October 23, 2020

The Larder Cafe - Revisited in 2020 @ Toa Payoh Central [Singapore] #thelardercafe

I reviewed The Larder Cafe more than three years ago; while my friends and I had a great time there, it was only recently that I decided to pay it a visit with another friend whom I owed a treat to. Can't blame me for this delayed patronage as Toa Payoh had too many choices when it comes to good food! 

Three years passed and I didn't think things have changed much as far as decor is concerned. It was still as cosy as I last remembered and if not for the queue of hungry diners beside me at the alfresco dining area; I would have stayed even longer.

Anyway, I was adamant in trying something new with my friend and we decided on the monthly special (lamb rack), BBQ pork ribs and charcoal waffle with two scoops of ice cream! 

BBQ Pork Ribs
- came recommended by the waiter, I would say this was satisfying with a delectable marination and meat that easily fell off the bones. Was it better than sticky bones at Morgansfield? Nope, it's not yet there.

I was more addicted to the truffle fries. Served crispy and hot from the boiling oil, it's hard to resist the alluring truffle aroma! Darn, I really should cut down on French fries; being indulging quite a bit recently as Jovyn would ask me to buy a pack from McDonald's for her every week!  

Lamb Rack
- this was exactly how it was depicted on the menu; sauté potatoes, ratatouille and lamb chop with mint chimichurri (sauce for grilled meat). What took me aback was the portion as I didn't expect the portion to be so little for a dish that cost S$35! 

For someone who dislikes potatoes in general, except for fries, the sliced sauté potatoes were delicious with seasoning that elevated them on the palatability ladder. Ratatouille was alright; it sure didn't elicit the pupil-dilating, fireworks-popping animation expressed by Ego in the Ratatouille movie

Despite its disappointing portion, the saving grace was that we paid for good quality lamb chops that were well cooked to a lips-smacking good tenderness! It had been a while that I had such enjoyable lamb chops since Mary Had a Little Lamb from the now-closed buckaroo.

Charcoal Waffle with Two Scoops of Ice Cream
- the waffle I had at The Larder Cafe the previous round was good and while I would have gone for the same this time; we opted for charcoal waffle instead. 

With two scoops of classic ice cream; my friend requested for triple chocolate whereas I went with mexican vanilla. Poor him didn't know I am not a huge fan of chocolate ice cream but well; not a huge fan doesn't equate to hating it! I can still eat.

No complaint about the ice cream; the charcoal waffle was way fluffier than the buttermilk waffle I had the first time. The exterior had a thin, crisp layer; my personal preference would like an even thicker layer of crispiness. 

=====

Address
Block 177, Toa Payoh Central,
#01-124, Singapore 310177 
(Near Toa Payoh MRT Station)

Map 
As above.

Operating Hours
11.00 am to 10.00 pm
(Closed on Mondays)

Website

Pricing
BBQ Pork Ribs - S$35.00
Lamb Rack - S$18.90
Charcoal Waffle with Two Scoops of Ice Cream - S$13.00
(NETT; No GST; No Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment