Thursday, October 08, 2020

Old School Chee Cheong Fun @ Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre [Singapore] #tiongbahruhawkercentre

Just the other day, I was in the vicinity of Tiong Bahru to check out a famous Hainanese curry rice and since I rarely go to that area; I couldn't resist visiting the nearby Tiong Bahru hawker centre too! 

As my main meal was already a done deal, we decided to have something light instead. And chee cheong fun sounds good, especially when it comes from a stall that has operated since the 1960s.

I was just given this pack when I responded to the question of "eat here or tabao" with "eat here". Oh well, at least it's more eco-friendly than a Styrofoam plate. 

The goodness of traditional, local chee cheong fun and I am glad to see there were sufficient sauce on this one! There are in fact a few variances of chee cheong fun like Malaysia style, Cantonese style, Shanghainese style but the one I personally enjoy is our local chee cheong fun.

This one from Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre isn't the best; however, the steamed rice rolls had that marvellous smooth, silky texture paired perfectly with the savoury sauce that screamed of old school flavour, and topped generously with aromatic sesame seeds. 

I did notice that the rolls had a different shape; like flatter with more layers! Not that it made a big distinction to the taste though. Anyway, this serving of chee cheong fun from Tiong Bahru hawker centre would be the kind I would introduce to any new visitors to Singapore or something to have as an after-meal filler. 

=====

Address
30 Seng Poh Rd, 
Tiong Bahru Food Centre,
#02-61, Singapore 168898

Map
As above. 

Pricing
Chee Cheong Fun - S$2 for 2 rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment