Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Big, Crispy Roti Prata Kosong from Chindamani Indian Restaurant Outlet @ Serangoon North Block 151A [Singapore]

After
scrapping my car a few years ago, it became inconvenient for me to travel to places not served by an MRT station. Okay, I admit; laziness usually kicks in! Therefore, even though serangoon north was a place I visited often in the past, it had been at least five years since I last dropped by.

Many small animal lovers would know the area as there are plenty of pet shops and aquariums; there's even a specialized store for chinchillas! Want to get a parrot that cost a few thousand dollars? That's the place to go! 

Random picture of a beautiful feline outside one of the shops.

I am not going to talk about pets today as I have no intention to keep one at the moment. Instead, I got wind of a stall selling super crispy roti prata from a new colleague and its location caught me by surprise as the pet shop next to the coffee shop was my customer when I was working in the pet industry, and I don't remember seeing the stall on my weekly visits! 

Mystery solved; Chindamani Indian Restaurant was only opened from 2008 and my stint in pet industry for business to business was before then! Anyway, why the word restaurant when it's clearly a food stall in a coffeeshop?! Guess there are grand plans for expansion! 

Do expect a queue which is the norm for any good food in Singapore! Obviously knowing that, I planned my visit to after 2pm to avoid the lunch peak but there were others who think like me. :( 

Wait wasn't too torturing with only about 4-5 persons in front of me; I got my prata in about 10-15 minutes and my order comprised of three kosong (empty) and two egg pratas. Please be assured that I don't have the stomach to eat so many! 

Mine usually consisted of just one kosong and one egg. With sugar on the side as I have that weird habit of mixing sugar with curry for that sweetened curry kick. So far, I had yet to hear of anyone who is using the same style.

Kosong Prata - hear the cackling! It's ultra crispy and compared to many kosong pratas sold elsewhere, this bears the uniqueness of being slightly bigger than the egg prata! Don't assume it was just a layer of crisp like tissue prata though as you can still find a satisfying layer of fluffy underside that wasn't too doughy. 

Egg Prata
- in comparison, this was quite normal. I regretted not buying extra kosong even though that's already quite a bit of carbohydrates I was ingesting that day! 

Usually, I wouldn't comment much on the curry as it plays a role as a mere dip and too watery for my liking. This time, I felt the need to do so as the fish curry given was thick and flavourful.

I can totally understand my colleague's obsession with the roti pratas from this stall; it was one of the best kosong prata I had, with the enjoyable crispiness matched with the size of it. Should I revisit this weekend? 

=====

Address
Block 151A, Serangoon North Avenue 1, 
Within Zhi Yuan Coffee Shop (祭源咖啡), 
Singapore 551151

Map
As above.

Other Branches
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Roti Prata Kosong - S$1.20 each
Roti Prata Egg - S$1.80 each

No comments:

Post a Comment