Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Boon Lay Traditional Hakka Lui Cha (河婆客家擂茶) @ 127 Toa Payoh West Market & Food Centre [Singapore]

I had a clear purpose that day; pray for a shorter queue, endure the wait and make sure I would get three boxes of baby muffins from
Uggli Muffins! The purchase went well and the next important step was "what should I have for lunch".

Actually, I already had an answer; while in the queue for Uggli Muffins, the Traditional Hakka Lui Cha stall had already caught my attention and it's worth noting that while the queue was just a few persons' long; it continuously had customers! 

While I am not big on vegetables and healthy looking food, this iconic hakka dish with its overall green hue appealed to me; so much so that I do occasionally get a craving. At times, the need to get a taste of the thunder tea rice would kick in immediately when I was just merely walking past. 

All these for just S$3.50 which I thought was a steal as the ones I usually had cost at least S$5.00! For example, the Hakka Thunder Tea Rice (客家擂茶) in Toa Payoh HDB Hub's Gourmet Paradise Food Court, the one at Tea Square (茶茶坊) in Bugis or the fusion Hakka Thunder Tea Tofu Bowl from Ah Lock Tofu @ Yishun Park Hawker Centre.

A smattering of ingredients (cabbage, chai po, tofu cubes, green beans etc) topped with crunchy peanuts, that totally covered the white rice underneath. What would be the best way to eat this thunder tea rice? Should we eat it as its display; by ingredients? 

And should we should take a sip of the greenish soup before taking a bite of the ingredients? These were actually the numerous questions in my brain when I attempted the dish for the very first time a few years ago! Observation helped although eventually, you would develop your own preference.

For me, I would mix up the ingredients with the rice and put a few spoons of the light broth. To me, it's essential to mix everything as the broth would taste relatively bland on its own, with a repulsive touch of bitterness towards the end. 

Don't be too quick to judge! 
The 'magic' would activate only when they are all mixed up! 

If my mom ever try to make Hakka thunder tea rice, I would presume it would taste exactly like this one from  Boon Lay Traditional Hakka Lui Cha; home-cooked comfort food that's healthy and made with tons of love! It's not the most delicious although it would be good enough when the craving strikes.

p.s. despite the apparently green 'tag', this isn't vegetarian as I bit into quite a few dried shrimps. Nevertheless, it was a hearty breakfast that didn't break a bank and something I would look forward to having when I revisit the hawker centre for Uggli Muffins

=====

Address
Block 127, Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, 
Toa Payoh West Market & Food Centre, 
#02-39, Singapore 310127

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
7.00 am to 2.00 pm
(Closed on Mondays)

Pricing
Thunder Tea (White Rice) - S$3.50

No comments:

Post a Comment