Thursday, October 22, 2020

Seng Kee Local Delights - Hokkien Mee @ Lau Pa Sat Hawker Centre [Singapore]

Surrounded by towering skyscrapers, the historical Lau Pa Sat is a unique landmark at Singapore's central business district that I actually seldom visit despite my love for hawker centres!

What shocked me, when I dropped by last Saturday, was the sheer number of empty stalls! Serving mainly the office crowd, I was totally expecting a much reduced lunch crowd but to see stalls devoid of signboards and kitchen equipment made me sad; hard not to associate it with the damaging impact from the pandemic. 

Since I can't rely on queue to determine the popularity of the stall (given the pathetic number of diners), I searched on internet and found out that quite a number of blogs recommended Seng Kee Local Delights.

Cooked by a young chap, I am apprehensive on whether this plate of hokkien mee would taste decent although I was taken aback by the price of this meal. It cost a hefty S$6.00 and that's the minimum; I don't think I have ever paid more than S$4.00 for a plate of hokkien mee at a hawker centre! 

Stingy me proceeded to check what went into this S$6.00 plate of hokkien mee; quite a lot of eggs, there were pieces of squid and also two decent-sized prawns. Initial one-word conclusion: expensive! 

Surprisingly, the noodle was palatable with an addictive wok-hei flavour that's further enhanced when I mixed in the aromatic sambal chilli. The strands of yellow and thick bee hoon noodle would, however, benefit from a longer soak in the broth to tenderize their texture  

Final, many-word conclusion: frankly quite a large portion and decent tasting despite the touristy pricing. I think it would be good for sharing if you are bringing along your foreign friends and would be ordering other local dishes. 

=====

Address
18 Raffles Quay, 
Stall #10, Lau Pa Sat,
Singapore 048582

Map
As above.

Menu
As above. Sorry that the pricing for the dishes was noticeable. Generally, the minimum is S$6.00 with the exception of fried kway teow, and carrot cake, which started at S$4.00.

Pricing
Hokkien Mee - S$6.00

No comments:

Post a Comment