Saturday, October 24, 2020

Briyani 47 - The Mutton Briyani That Caught Me By Surprise @ Yishun Block 343 [Singapore]

Today, I am going to write about a stall located within a coffee shop that's nowhere visible from the main road; I myself didn't know about it until I happened to jog past one bloody hot afternoon via the sheltered linkways all over Yishun! 

I noticed a nasi briyani stall there with the name 47 and coincidentally shortly after, a friend shared about it with me on Facebook. Decided to finally check it out and was surprised to find a queue! In the two times that I jogged past, there was no queue but then; the signboard was switched off so it's highly likely they were already sold out for the day.

Queued for fifteen minutes and I managed to secure the last second serving of Nasi Briyani (Mutton). Chicken was already sold out and the fish was running fast. Boy, I didn't know the foods were such hot property, especially when it opened only at 11.30am and things were already running out before 2.00pm! After which, I also saw many customers who came and left, with disappointment written on their faces. 

From the look of it, I really didn't understand the fuss at first. No papadum and gravy was given and it sure looked a bit dry and plain with the pickled cucumbers-carrot mix, giving it some needed cosmetic. All things changed when I took my first bite.

Mutton was properly diced up and mixed in with the basmati rice that was so aromatic due to the deep fried onions; the meat was tender with just a bit of fat and it sure didn't overwhelm the taste buds. Most importantly, it was boneless! The lack of gravy, thought to be thoughtless at first, turned out to be a blessing in disguise as each chunk of mutton was already coated with curry and was flavourful on its own! You absolutely don't need that extra bowl of gravy to up the palatability.

For that extra oomph, mix in each spoonful with a bit of the pickled vegetables. Sweet, crunchy and not as spicy as its colours implied. As you can see, there's almost nothing left on my tray after 15 minutes! p.s. the portion is generous for just S$6.50 and to me, it's also placed higher on the taste ladder compared to the nearby Bismi Briyani (Lamb Chop) at Yishun Park Hawker Centre.

=====

Address
Block 343, Yishun Avenue 11,
Within The Traditional Taste Coffeeshop,
Singapore 760343

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Mutton Briyani - S$6.50 

No comments:

Post a Comment