Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Pa Bul Lo Korean Charcoal BBQ - Skip the BBQ @ Serangoon Garden [Singapore]

Do you believe in fate? I do as I personally feel that things happen for a reason and fate did determine that we arrived a tad late to check out a popular eatery at Serangoon Garden. 

With plenty of hungry diners ahead of us, it was decided unanimously we would proceed to another restaurant a few doors away; Pa Bul Lo Korean Charcoal BBQ.

It's always great to be served chilled water at proper Korean restaurants, at no charge! Anyway, though the name of the restaurant has a charcoal BBQ in it, the griddle in front of us was obviously gas-powered. Turned out the meat were partially-grilled over charcoal in the kitchen first; not an issue for me since I have the tendency to burn the meat. 

Despite the bottle of cold water, my friends saw the need to order a bottle of Makgeolli for sharing. Alcohol drink is a must whenever I meet up with these two secondary school friends and they (both ladies) are much better in holding their liquor! 

Completed our ordering and here comes the side dishes, including the condiments and lettuce for our BBQ meat, and the sauce for the pancake. What did I like the most from the side dishes? Definitely the tangy sliced radishes! I think I asked for refill at least twice! 

Pa Bulgogi Beef
- at S$52.00 a serving (about 360g), it was pricey! I found the presentation pleasing though given the huge chunk of shredded spring onions. Boy, I felt healthier already! 

Sadly, the bulgogi wasn't amazing, at least for me, to command such a high price. Indeed, it was slightly different with a heavy dose of pepper but I think my pocket would better appreciate the S$6.50 bulgogi beef at Hwang's Korean Restaurant @ NUS University Town instead. 

Kochujang Pork Belly
- similar to Pa Bulgogi Beef, this was served with a heap of shredded spring onions! 

There was, again, that strong peppery taste, in addition to the spiciness from the kochujang. To be frank, it was a refreshing twist for the taste buds although as with Pa Bulgogi Beef, the steeper price was hard to stomach for a poor man like I! 

Sundubu Jjigae with Rice
- I have never liked Korean Spicy Soft Tofu Stew as the taste was usually watered down and loaded with too much spiciness. The one here at Pa Bul Lo was a far cry from what I used to have.

The soup had a thick consistency and was chockfull of flavours from the sea! The tofu was silky soft and I actually craved for plain rice to better enjoy the broth with the tofu. One word; shiok! 

Seafood Pancake
- the Korean style pancake is one dish I love to order for sharing and I thought I have eaten enough of them that nothing would surprise me anymore, until I took a bite of the above.

Meat on the thin and crispy pancake was exclusively octopus and instead of a salty, soy sauce based dip, it was sweet and went perfectly with the pancake! I can't wait to return to have another bite of the seafood pancake! 

======

It was a satisfying meal for me, given that the two ladies didn't have a big stomach! However, my eyes still popped a bit when I received the bill. The next time I drop by, it would likely be just Sundubu Jjigae with Rice and Seafood Pancake. Should I continue to feel hungry, it would be a short walk to Chomp Chomp hawker centre! 

Address
63 Serangoon Garden Way, 
Singapore 555959

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Pa Bulgogi Beef - S$52.00
Kochujang Pork Belly - S$38.00 
Sundubu Jjigae with Rice - S$13.00
Seafood Pancake - S$22.00
Makgeolli - S$25.00
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment