Thursday, October 01, 2020

Mid Autumn Festival 2020 - Hanging Out with Lanterns and Family! #midautumnfestival #mooncakefestival #lanternfestival

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! 

In Singapore, there are a few things iconic to the festival that takes place on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month; one is of course the mooncakes which originated from the Tang dynasty (read here). Another one would be the lanterns. 

As I was working from home, I decided to join my family for a gathering at my parents' place. Getting together as a family for mid-autumn festival is supposed to be meaningful and while I am not that big on tradition; the fact that my parents are getting older, whiter and more frail compels me to want to spend more time with them. 

I was hoping to get the sunset but missed it! It was raining quite heavily earlier and just like the sunset at Krabi, I guess the setting sun would make a spectacular exit. 

Managed to catch a glimpse of the moon though. 

After dinner (including a slice of the mooncake that I baked), it was time to take out the paper lanterns, light them out and have a walk to the nearby park! To be honest, the family seldom does this as we prefer to laze around at home and chit chat. 

But given that the kids would be older soon, such activity would likely reduce. Anyway, the regulations on safe distancing said no more than 5 in a group; hence, I was keeping a safe distance of about 2 meters and taking advantage of my zoom-in lens to take pictures for memory sake! 

Elder sister with dad; she is an early bird and has been accompanying my dad every Sunday for walks and expeditions! Pity the son me loves to laze around on bed, especially on weekends.

From young, I had an unexplained love for fire and mid-autumn festival was always an happy occasion for me as I got to play with fire, without the adults scolding me. Quite amazing that I turned out pretty okay; at least I am no arsonist and hate to see people get hurt. p.s. I don't condone putting the candles on the floor unless you are ready to remove the leftover wax later. 

More photographs! 

Do you know we had yet to catch sight of the full moon and here it was! Frankly, I have always felt that the moon a day later, on the 16th day, is bigger and rounder. Hopefully, we would have good weather tomorrow night to confirm. 

Photographs with the moon! 

Since we can't play firecrackers and fireworks in Singapore, the most we can do to eke out some celebratory atmosphere would be sparklers! Pity Jovyn is a scaredy cat and I remember how both kids ran away, in fear, a few years ago when I specially bought sparklers for them.

Both of them again! Indisputably, Jerald is already taller than me but in terms of waistline, I think I lost to both of them! Shall confirm the next time when the kids drop by my house! 

End of the lantern-walk; blowing out the candle like it was on a birthday cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment