Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Beh Leh Hainam Satay @ Melaka [Malaysia]

The dog cafe I visited at Melaka was six kilometers away from our hotel and me being me; I searched around the area for food so that I technically wouldn't waste the trip. 

There was none that caught my attention but I did notice a satay eatery that popped out on Google Map; Beh Leh Hainam Satay! With a review score of 4.3 from over 500 reviewers, I guess it's worth a visit by a person who loves satay, especially pork ones! 

Queue was expected but we were lucky! 
No line at about 5pm and I secured a table immediately. 

Open view kitchen right at the shopfront where you see workers working hard in grilling the many, many sticks of satay! Imagine walking past the shop and got tempted to have a serving of satay. 

Interior of the air-conditioned eatery that evoked nostalgic memory of those who had gone through the 1960s to 1980s. For the last photo, who can identify the five female celebrities!? Our family, with the exception of Jovyn who was too young, had a fun time picking our memory. 

Can't imagine that this ancient fan was still working! 
It's repurposed though since the buttons don't work. 

Remember this earthenware dragon pot?! Came in various sizes in my youth, it's the equivalent of a bath tub back in the village, where I will soak in for extended period of time.

Iced Kopi - it's been a hot day and having this glass of cold, thickened pulled coffee down my throat was just so soothing! In the Singapore's context, this was shiok!

Satay - with options of chicken, pork, intestine and gizzards, no prize for guessing that I would only for the "normal" chicken and pork, with higher priority for the chicken; 30 sticks of pork, 20 sticks of chicken. 

Perfectly grilled with just a bit of char that didn't scream 'cancer', and loving the pieces of fats in between the meat! To be frank, while the meat for both chicken and pork was tender, the marination lacked the sweetness I am more accustomed to for satay in Singapore.  However, it was compensated by something else, which I thought would be the key highlight for this satay eatery.

The gravy was the component that sealed the deal! With pieces of pineapple, this was one satay gravy that hit the right notes; savory, sweet, sour, fruity! Okay, maybe one note can be improved; I would prefer more peanuts for better texture.

Nevertheless, the gravy was good enough that my brother in law and sister, and me, literally cleaned up our respective bowl of satay gravy! 

=====

Address
315, Jalan Gajah Berang, 
75200 Melaka, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Pricing
Chicken Satay - RM 1.20 each
Pork Satay - RM 1.20 each
Iced Kopi - RM 3.20

No comments:

Post a Comment