Saturday, November 13, 2021

Day One of My Four-Night Ocean Getaway Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas #royalcaribbeancruise


Detailed Postings for the Day



After staying put in the little red dot for more than a year, butterflies were fluttering in my stomach when I left the house; did I remember to bring all the essential things to tide me through the next few days? One item I kept reminding myself was the bottle of Brown Brothers Cienna

Reaching the Singapore Cruise Centre in no time as we took a Grab. My travel companion is of the same age as me and at this point of our life; there's a much higher chance for us to splurge for the sake of convenience, comfort and time-saving.

First thing to do - check in your luggage! It seemed that either people were unaware or they just didn't trust their belongings to be in the hands of strangers. Given that we still have to do the pre-boarding antigen test and wait for the result, it's best not to have too many pieces of luggage to take note of. 

After that, join the queue! Don't blindly go to the end as the queue was segregated by timings and the end of the queue, in this instance, was for the check-in timing slot right after us! 

Thankfully, a friendly staff came over to enquire on my check-in timing and directed me to the middle of the queue instead. Don't think you can just anyhow walk in and cut queue though as staff members will authenticate and I was asked like 2-3 times to verify my check-in timing.

Nevertheless, I managed to sneak out to take some photos of the cruise ship we would be boarding shortly; the Quantum of the Seas by Royal Caribbean. Note: this was before I took the antigen test.

Going towards the waiting area to await the results of the test. From the look of it, I think they converted part of the carpark, with temporary canopies, fans and chairs spaced out sufficiently and zoned accordingly. 

Free cup of water; time passed quite easily with a mobile phone; the convenience of technology and connectivity. In the past, before phones became so versatile, you would likely see me bring along a few books to read, a habit that's no longer as popular in the modern era. 

Clearing immigration was a breeze as we can just go through the automated machines; the tedious parts were more from Royal Caribbean, before we can board the ship. A profile picture had to be taken to be used to identify us onboard the ship and a "Tracelet" would be dispensed; it's essentially "a wrist wearable that will help with contact tracing onboard."

Unlike aerobridges in airports, the ones at the Cruise Centre weren't outstretched; instead, the two sections were set parallel to one another before you get to the opening.

This was actually the view as I entered; as mentioned in the summary, the "opening scene" was a disappointment as I was all prepared to go with my oooo and ahhhh.

Quantum of the Seas actually contained a S$5 million art collection and as passengers, you will definitely see some of them. One of which was this towering wall  between the two main sets of lifts, comprising "210 butterflies representing 30 species", "made of aluminum, stainless steel, acrylic and enamel by Paul Villinski". 

There were others which would draw your attention but you wouldn't have given too much thought about them as they might not have an information panel, and you shall be forgiven for thinking they were there just to adorn the walls. 

Now, our ocean view stateroom with balcony! Of course there's a bed and you may read more about the room here. In summary, it wasn't that bad a squeeze at almost 19 square meters! 

Disposable masks as part of the care package. Frankly, I prefer reusable masks and while it's thoughtful of the cruise shop to give some, I am not likely to use them.

Cruise Planner app - I actually depend on this a lot to book / reserve activities although some would still need you to be there early as they could be on a first-come, first served basis. The app was also needed for us to view the daily menus for the main dining room.

You can still rely on the hard copy if you are the old school kind. I relied on both actually as the physical copy would provide information like top deals, daily highlights, drink of the day (selected cocktails at just US$8 each) etc.  

Dinnertime at the main dining room (Icon Americal Grill); the main buffet venue (Windjammer) wasn't opened for dinner so we had to go for the "fine dining" option. To read more about our first dinner on the cruise, click here

There wasn't a queue when we stepped into Icon Americal Grill but when we exited about an hour later, the line to enter was incredibly long! Hence, our recommendation; do apply for an earlier check-in time, if you could.

Royal Esplanade - where the main bulk of the retail shops, separately charged restaurants / bars are. If you are cheapo like me, you can make a beeline for the Sorrento's Pizza and Café Promenade at the lower level; the food and drinks would be covered under your package unless you need something more "atas" like latte. 
Guess this would be part of the art collection. 

View of the Royal Esplanade from the upper deck. You know what this reminded me of? Genting Highlands, a long time ago! I know it's a lot different now and with the new theme park, I guess I should make a trip there once the borders are open. 

Bionic Bar - to be honest, this was supposed to be the main highlight for me but for reasons unbeknownst to me; it wasn't operational throughout the entire cruise! 

Cross section of the cruise ship. Wayfinding is important even though we would be stuck there for quite a few days with nowhere else to go. In time to come, I bet Royal Caribbean would include interactive displays for wayfinding.

Outdoor deck on deck 5 - this would be the same deck that we boarded from and it's also the place where the lifeboats are kept. Unlike the top deck with its amenities, this level was significantly less popular.

At that time, the ship was still docked at Singapore Cruise Centre where Marina Bay Sands was the nearest, iconic structure. Alex used to secure free nights every month but his app has been silent recently. :(

More of the arts collection, including "Waves of Light" in the first photo which was designed by "artist, Soo Sunny Park." and made up of reflecting plexiglass. 

Our first show on Quantum of the Seas, at Two70 - Nadiia Voronkova featuring Cast of Starwater! I was about to doze off in the beginning segment but thankfully, things got better with the violinist's performance at the end totally taking my breath away! Check out here for more photos! 

Art gallery right outside Two70; those with an eye for good art can make a purchase for any piece. What I was more interested with was the statue on a table where you can make a guess for its weight! Winner, announced only on the last day of the cruise, will get a prize, I heard. 

With another hour plus to spend before the next show, I decided to have a change of clothing and proceeded to the upper deck. Night had fallen, with many facilities, like the pools, already closed. 

North Star® - don't underestimate this capsule; it has the ability to propel you to a 100 meters above sea level and the "winner of the Guinness World Record for tallest viewing deck on a cruise ship"! Only issue? Admission is separately charged! 

Indoor pool - funnily, I didn't go into the swimming pool throughout my trip although I did manage to relax at the whirlpool on about two occasions. It's extremely relaxing to soak in the hot whirlpool when the temperature at night dropped to a chill.

Flowrider - a surfing simulator; I always wanted to try this and I would have taken advantage of the free trial lesson offered in Quantum of the Seas. I procrastinated until the last day of the cruise, and the rain derailed everything. 

"From Afar" - that's the name for the "30-foot-tall magenta polar bear created by Denver-based artist Lawrence Argent". It's literally the icon for the cruise ship! 

Spa premises that can be peeped into along the running track on deck 15 - again, I didn't attempt to step in as charges were applicable depending on the services you signed up for. There's one session called walking in comfort that was free though.

Start of my jog along the 553-meter running track circling the deck! As the cruise ship had already started moving by then, the breeze was so therapeutic! Albeit a bit strong if you are running against the wind direction. 

Departing view of the Singapore skyline.

At the Royal Theatre for the second production of the night; Sequins & Feathers Show! A highly charged performance; the 45-minute show was enjoyable! For more photos, click here

Don't you just love google map? The ship was apparently sailing towards the South China Sea! Maybe I should have just stick around the upper deck a bit longer; the ship would likely pass by Pedra Branca, a Singapore island, with the Horsburgh Lighthouse, which is nearer to Malaysia and Indonesia than to mainland Singapore. 


=====

No comments:

Post a Comment