Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Tun Xiang 豚香南洋馆 - Roasted Delights Galore @ Yishun's Northpoint City Mall [Singapore]

Disappointment greeted my face when I noticed a difference in signboard as I approached the former  premises of Akimitsu (秋光), which I would sometimes patronize with my mom for their signature tendon.

In its place now is an eatery with the name "Tun Xiang (豚香南洋馆)" - some Singaporean Chinese might not know what the character 豚 means as we usually prefer the more common term; 猪 when referring to pig. Yes, the signatures of this new dining establishment are all pork based. 

Frankly, I have never seen a queue outside the restaurant and only decided to check it out when the Great Kon commented that their roasted delights were pretty good. The place was quite empty when I arrived past lunch on a weekday and we were quickly ushered in. 

Scanned the QR code to view the menu and order. It wasn't a huge list but I still took some time to deliberate between rice and noodle and whether I should go for roasted chestnut pork, signature iberico pork belly char siew or iberico pork collar char siew.

Make your payment at the cashier after you submitted the order online. To be honest, I thought the pricing was the high side as it was minimally S$9.50 but again, I don't mind trying to ascertain if the food is really worth the price. 

In about five minutes, we received our food - iberico pork collar char siew rice and signature iberico pork belly char siew noodle. More on the carbohydrates (rice and noodles) later. 

Roasted Chestnut Pork - let's check out the roast pork first and I must say visually, they already gave a fantastic vibe; golden pork skin and meat that glistened with juiciness under the light! I took my first bite and the resounding crunch was met with nodding approval. 

Skin was superbly crispy and the meat tasted tender, juicy and most importantly, not overly salted. Only issue is that the portion was a bit too much and too much of anything would result in a cloying disgust after a while. Maybe the eatery could consider having a smaller portion and a reduced pricing. 

Iberico Pork Collar Char Siew Rice
- this was mom's but she nicely allowed me to have a bite of the char siew. It was tough; meaty though with a smoky aroma and infused with the delicious char siew marination. 

Signature Iberico Pork Belly Char Siew Noodle - I was in the mood for noodle and since I am always game for char siew, this looked like the perfect dish for me, especially with the generous serving of deep fried pork lard! 

Featuring the same sweet char siew marination as the pork collar, this was better simply because there were more fats due to the pork belly cut, resulting in a delicious, juicy bite that was full of flavor! I relished every bite but it was just too much pork when I still had a large serving of the roasted chestnut pork.

Noodle with dark sauce was the kind I would enjoy without the need for any chilli / tomato sauce. And while this didn't disappoint, I was way happier when I mixed in the onsen egg as the strands of noodle turned out to be even more slurpy! 
 
=====

Burp - I so regretted ordering the roast pork as my tummy was stuffed with pork and my mind was telling me "no more pork for the next few weeks"! As I mentioned earlier, pricing was a bit high but right here in Yishun, this is the best char siew and convenience would likely result in a return visit soon. 

Address
930 Yishun Ave 2, #02-28, 
Singapore 769098

Facebook Page 
As above.

Pricing
Roasted Chestnut Pork - S$12.90
Iberico Pork Collar Char Siew Rice - S$10.60
Signature Iberico Pork Belly Char Siew Noodle - S$9.50
(Inclusive of GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment