Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Mee Siam from Delicious 美味 @ Tanjong Pagar Hawker Centre [Singapore] #tanjongpagarhawkercentre

An early appointment brought me to Tanjong Pagar one Saturday morning and I was famished! Judging from the expenditure on my credit card; I decided to go for something easier on the wallet, and proceeded to the nearby Tanjong Pagar Hawker Centre.

While it's not my first time to the hawker centre, I had never been there this early and was surprised to see quite a number of stalls with a long queue. Longest was for nasi lemak but my heart was with stall that commanded the second longest queue in the food centre.

Stall name is easy to remember; delicious! With just three items on the menu, all of which were on equal standing given the blown up picture of each dish on the main signboard, my eyes were just fixated on one item; mee siam! 

One large container of sambal chilli; you don't help yourself though as the auntie would gladly do the job upon confirmation you want chilli. One thing I appreciated from her was her assistance to squeeze the calamansi! This spared me the frustration of dirtying my fingers. 

The calamansi seeds were another irritant but I could easily pick them out using the chopsticks! Anyway, here's my plate of mee siam that cost S$3.50 a bowl. Would this fare better than Hup Hup at Circuit Road? Let's find out! 

With a lighter shade of orange, the first spoon into my mouth evoked memories of my very first mee siam at Hougang; the interesting peanut aroma and a strange combination of sweetness, sourness and spiciness that, astonishingly, appealed to my palate even though I am not into spicy food then.

A nice walk down memory lane definitely made the experience better, and I savoured every single bite, until the very last drop! Peals of sweat started rolling down my face but they were simply the result of a satisfying meal! 

Personally, I think this was comparable to Hup Hup and it's hard to make a decision on which is better. In terms of price, Hup Hup is cheaper at S$3.00 and the mee siam also came with bigger pieces of tau pok, which were delish when soaked in the gravy! 

=====

Address 
6 Tanjong Pagar Plaza, 
#02-02, Tanjong Pagar Hawker Centre,
Singapore 081006

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
Fridays to Tuesdays - 8.15 am till sold out 
(Closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays)

Menu 
As above.

Pricing
Mee Siam - S$3.50

No comments:

Post a Comment