Sunday, November 14, 2021

Wild Wood Cafe - All Day Breakfast in Yishun @ Wisteria Mall [Singapore]

Given my usual backlog, it's rare to find me blogging about something that I just experienced on the same day. I visited 
Wild Wood Cafe a week ago and returned again today; however, I had to review it because of a promotional poster in front of the dining establishment.

A moving out promotion (10% until end of November) that wasn't there last week. I clarified with one of the staff and their last day of operations would be 02 January 2022; which means I better get this review out as soon as possible so that interested individuals can still have a chance to try out before the cafe moves out of Yishun. 

Wisteria Mall had opened for business for quite a few years and I noted that Wild Wood Cafe is there from the start. I had always wanted to check it out but procrastination, once again, had me putting off the visit until last week.

Well, food must be quite good for us to go again this afternoon! Anyway, limited seating capacity within the cafe and I saw quite a number of people asking for takeaways. 

Cutlery in a small basket, with serviettes and sachets of tomato and chilli sauce. Plain water was chargeable at S$0.50 for each person; while I wasn't that happy to be charged, the unhappiness was reduced by the fact that it's refillable.

Meals on our first visit! 

King's Breakfast Platter - fit for a king, you have options for the following: choice of main, either char-grilled soya sauce chicken or crispy chicken, choice of side, either chicken ham, pork bacon strip, smoked salmon or sausage, and choice of egg; either scrambled, sunny side up or benedict.


Alex's choice; scrambled egg with char-grilled soya sauce chicken and sausage. He loves everything on it, except for maybe the salad but he isn't much of a salad person. The chicken was juicy although I didn't find the soya sauce exceptionally pronounced. The toasted bread had a nice aroma although texture reminded me of stale bread. The bread for our visit this afternoon was much better. 

Sausage was delish and burst with oil so flavorful; it's totally worth getting a heart attack. Another item I enjoyed a lot was the small dish containing sautéed mushrooms; so soft and earthy. To be fair, Alex didn't seem to like the mushrooms much. 

Signature Chicken Waffles -  both Alex and I wanted the King's Breakfast Platter but for the sake of this review, I thought it will be better to order a different dish.

Since it's tagged as signature on the menu, I guess it would be worth a try even though there were other signature options for example unagi pizza. Furthermore, a similar dish containing both fried chicken and waffle I had at Grub and Yardbird turned out to be not bad.

Waffle was buttery the way I like but texture wasn't crispy enough. In such case, only the saccharine maple syrup can rescue it. Scrambled egg was the same as the King's Breakfast Platter; good although I am more a sunny side up person.
 
Simply marinated and lightly seasoned, the crispy chicken was moist with a thin layer of crunchy skin. Frankly, they should consider having another category on the menu; fried chicken.

Concluding our first visit! 

That's not the end of my review; fast forward to today for my second visit. Boring Alex remained loyal and requested for the King's Breakfast Platter again. For me, since I haven't blogged about my first visit, I might as well order something different.

Seafood Galore Pasta - another signature at Wild Wood Cafe; choice of base with either tomato or aglio olio. I was again stuck in a dilemma and required the help of the order taker. Aglio olio it shall be then.

A galore of seafood it sure was with five decent-sized prawns, three to four pieces of flower cut squid and a substantial amount of clam meat. I was pleased that they didn't have the clams with their shells on as it's so tedious to remove the meat with a fork and spoon! 

Al-dente pasta with a spiciness that's manageable for me; what I relished more was the overwhelming minced garlic that hyped up the flavor a lot! I know this would not be welcome for some as I am aware of friends who would pick out bits of garlic from their food. 

Satisfying meal; you can still see the minced garlic on the plate and that's after I cleaned up most of them. Hence, you can imagine how much of garlic was in this pasta. Whatever the case, it's only less than two months before Wild Wood Cafe moves and from what I know, they have yet to confirm their new location, except that it will be in the east. 

=====

Address
598 Yishun Ring Road,
#01-51/52, Wisteria Mall
Singapore 768698

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
King's Breakfast Platter - S$20.80 
Signature Chicken Waffles -  S$16.80
Seafood Galore Pasta - SS$17.80
Water (Refillable) - S$0.50 a cup
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment