Thursday, November 18, 2021

Two Men Bagel House @ Icon Village (Near Tanjong Pagar MRT Station) [Singapore]

It might surprise some of you that before my visit to Two Men Bagel House, I didn't know what a bagel taste like even though the word isn't new to me and I am aware that bagel is similar to bread.  

My breakfast was already a done deal (delicious old school mee siam) but my mouth was itching for more! A search on Google map for dining establishment above 4.5 in the vicinity resulted in us going towards Icon Village, for Two Men Bagel House. Saw the queue but there's no eye-catchy signboard screaming its name! 

I found the "signboard" eventually; small, unnoticeable and absolutely unconventional for 99% of business! But given the line of customers, I guess the publicity would be unnecessary.

Virgin visitor here and I was totally confused with the "artisanal without e bullshit" menu! What the heck is a schmear, a featherweight, a heavyweight and a G.O.A.T? A weightlifting competition? I didn't want to hold back the line and apologetically asked the cashier for a recommendation.

A friendly chap he was! Given a few recommendations; I eventually settled with his favorite, the weird sounding, Be(the)SM. You have the option of bagel flavors and once again now knowing what's good, I thought "everything (all sorts)" would be a safe bet.

While waiting for my bagel, let me share some trivia about it. The shape of bagel might confuse some people as it looks like a doughnut! It originated from the Jewish community back in the 17th century and unlike bread, a bagel has to be boiled before you bake it!

An interesting sticker highlighting the rules. I absolutely love #1 - don't hog the seat! I was a student before and understand the need for space to study for upcoming tests and examinations. But please be considerate, especially for popular dining establishments and / or during mealtimes. And no, don't just buy a drink and hog the table an entire day.

Be(the)SM
- here's my bagel, wrapped so tightly; I thought it's a rock! 

Another wrapper that was sliced in the middle. From its appearance, I would have thought it's a burger and frankly, I think it's a great idea to also wrap up a burger this way and then slice it in half! Why?

Because the insides, once you pull both sides apart, would be so pretty and at one glance, you would know what's inside. For my Be(the)SM, the ingredients are "house pork sausage, shitake shitake, sunny side up, grilled tomatoes, garlic kewpie", and holding them together would be the everything bagel.

Taking a bite! Note - I just had mee siam less than an hour ago and while such a portion would be sufficient for one person; I am deeply aware of my 'capability', the lack of it, to finish everything. It didn't help that Alex had already warned me he was full. 

Frankly, it felt very much like I was digging into a burger; you can't go wrong with a sunny side up and whole shitake mushrooms (mushroom lover here), and I was absolutely in love with the house pork sausage that doesn't have the hot-dog look! Instead, it looked like a piece of spam with a softer texture and an added sweet tinge to its flavor. 

Now on the bagel - it was not bad but harder than I expected, and it was chewy. Even though a burger bun, with its fluffier texture, has a better bite, the bagel did a better in packing the ingredients and holding them together. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the top crust dotted with multi nuts and grains. 

Sorry, I had to sacrifice the parts of the bagel as I was so full! I made such a big mess by the way as I couldn't understand how to eat it without getting my hands dirty! Maybe someone should teach me basic bagel eating. 

Remember to clear your trash and bin it! 
p.s. no service charge was imposed.

The even longer queue when I was about to leave! Those who want to check out Two Men Bagel House would be pleased to know you have two other branches to consider; one at Novena (Royal Square) and another one at Holland Village.

=====

Address 
16 Enggor Street,
#01-12 Icon Village Extension,
Singapore 079717

Map
 As above.

Floor Directory
As above.

Website

Pricing
Be(the)SM - S$13.00
(Subject to GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment