Thursday, November 04, 2021

2-Course Executive Lunch Set & Llewellyn's Fine Fried Chicken @ Yardbird Southern Table and Bar in Marina Bay Sands [Singapore]

Given the restrictions a few months ago when dining in wasn't an option, I had no choice but to request for takeaways from 
Yardbird Southern Table and Bar; turned out the food was better than expected and when the restriction was lifted; I started planning for an in-house visit, to tied in with my free stay at Marina Bay Sands!

That day didn't take too long to materialize and I was all excited to step into the beautiful American restaurant that exuded an old, yet classic atmosphere that, somewhat, gave a weird, farm-like vibes.

An interesting feature was the use of liquor bottles as shades for the filament light bulbs. For someone who lives on his own, my initial thought after admiration is the level of difficulty in changing the bulbs! That's what a homeowner grapples, especially when lights at home started flickering  a few years after renovation. 

Seated in no time and complimentary iced water was served. The problem then was what to choose for my 2-course executive lunch, which included an appetizer, one sandwich / salad, one side and an option of either ice tea or lemonade.

Sweetened Ice Tea - drink was an easy choice as I prefer ice tea over lemonade. Nothing to complain about this beverage; it was sweet with a noticeable tea aroma. Nothing over the top or impressionable. 

Deviled Eggs
- it's either eggs or sweet corn hush puppies and again, not a hard selection for egg lovers like me. The presentation was indeed an eye opener though; weren't they just hardboiled eggs, with generous amount of yolk?

I didn't know hardboiled eggs can be so fanciful; the yolk was in fact mashed up to form a texture suitable for piping and dressed up with dill, chives and what I thought to be paprika, cheese and a dash of salt. Maybe I could do something similar for my guests next time. 

Lobster and Shrimp Roll - the sandwich won over the salad for an obvious reason; I don't like to pay for expensive salad in a fancy restaurant. Five sandwiches were available and lobster and shrimp roll was priced the highest; cheapo me just couldn't resist even though a little part of me was thinking if it was comparable to Burger and Lobster

The brioche bread was delightful; it was toasted perfectly with a soft, fluffy and buttery inside! 

Pity the cubes of lobster and pieces of shrimp were pathetically little; definitely incomparable with the lobster roll from Burger and Lobster which would startle you with its generous amount of lobster meat! The house salt and vinegar chips didn't appeal to me; to be fair, I don't like potato chips. 

Crispy Brussels - with eight to choose from, my rationale to go for the brussels was simple; I don't think I have ever eaten this interesting vegetable in my life as it's not commonly found in wet markets frequented by my mom. 

And I super, utterly love it! Crunchiness aside, there was both a touch of sweetness and bitterness in every bite that complemented, rather than contradicted each other. According to the write up on the menu, spiced honey was likely the reason why I enjoyed it so much! 

Cleaned up in no time yet I am crying for more! Guess this would kick start an order for Brussels sprouts every time I see them on the menu.

Llewellyn's Fine Fried Chicken
- Alex was craving for the signature fried chicken from Yardbird after we tried it a few months ago and since I am already having the executive lunch set; the fried chicken was really his order.

Sadly, it wasn't as good this time. The chicken was oilier and taste wise; I assumed it was frozen chicken which lacked the usual freshness from fresh chicken. Truth was, after clarifying with one of the staff; fresh chicken was used and they were soaked in brine for over 24 hours before deep-frying them. 

We can't stomach anymore after taking a piece each and decided to just request for takeaway instead, as it would be a big waste for us to throw away the rest. And I bet my bottles of Kimball Thai chilli sauce at home would help to elevate the palatability of the fried chicken. 

=====

Address
2 Bayfront Avenue, 
#B1-07, Marina Bay Sands
Singapore 018972

Map
As above.

Lunch Menu
As above

Pricing
Executive Set Lunch - S$46.00
Llewellyn's Fine Fried Chicken - S$34.00
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment