Friday, March 26, 2021

The Really Good Auntie Kim's Popiah @ Yishun Block 848 (Opposite Khatib Sheng Siong Supermarket) [Singapore]

It was a craving for
claypot rice that motivated me to arrange for a meet-up with my parents and sister at Yishun Block 848, after work. Of course having just claypot rice was insufficient and my sister suggested getting a few rolled popiahs from a stall within the same coffee shop.

Queue was surprisingly not short and I thought it was because the lady was slow. Turned out she's actually quite fast although it did seem her popiahs had more ingredients than I remember, except for missing out on prawns. There's no signboard at the stall but a search on the web revealed that this would likely be Auntie Kim's Popiah. 

Our two rolls were ready! 

I took one bite and totally loved what went into my mouth! It's a been a while since I last had rolled popiah which was from Qiji and this, to me, was a notch better than the famous chain. Unlike most rolled popiah, the ingredients were packed snugly and it was an amalgamation of flavours that was sweet (even though not as sweet as Qiji), spicy (we asked for chilli), eggy and nutty! 

There was also this fresh crunch that I initially assumed were a combination from the fresh lettuce, peanuts and pork lard bits but on second thought, I doubt the latter was included. The turnips (known as pangguang) were not overly wet and proportion of turnips, as can be seen from the above photo, was slightly less than 50% which turned out to be a good thing in my opinion. 

=====

Address 
848 Yishun Ring Road, 
Coffee Shop Opposite Sheng Siong Supermarket, 
Khatib, Yishun, Singapore 768688 

Pricing 
Popiah - S$1.70 a roll

2 comments: