Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Roast Duck & Char Siew from 尖东港式炭烧烧腊 @ Yishun Bus Interchange (Next to Northpoint) [Singapore]

Unlike many residents in Yishun, I do not have to step into the bus interchange in Yishun on a frequent basis as my residence is within walking distance from Yishun MRT station and my workplace is better served via the train network. 

However, Alex visits quite often; not to take the buses though. His main objective is this particular roast delight stall in the staff canteen which, according to him, served a mean tasting roast duck rice! 

I tried to find an English name for the stall but the signboard only indicated its Chinese name;  尖东港式炭烧烧腊. Never heard of it but Alex's recommendations can turn out pretty good sometimes. Since I was working from home last week, I thought I should give it a try, together with my mom.

Knowing I could not resist the beautiful looking char siew, I decided to have a platter of roast duck and char siew for two persons. The roast duck should have been the highlight but there seemed to be more char siew on the plate!  

Plain, white rice that wasn't fluffy and should have been deemed a failure if not for the generous amount of char siew sauce drenched over it! Next time, I would ask for the more sinful chicken rice and pray it would have a better texture.

I am glad I decided to get the char siew as they were delicious; meaty, juicy with a yummy, sweet tinge, and surrounded with desirable charred bits. Definitely one of the better ones around in Yishun! 

Visually, the roast duck didn't elicit any excitement from my mom and I; guess it has something to do with the plating. Thankfully, the disappointing appearance didn't have a direct correlation with the taste; there was this nice dang gui aroma that reminded me of the roast ducks from the more famous (and expensive) Dian Xiao Er and meat texture was tender! 

Two thing could be improved; the meat was a tad salty and the roasted duck skin would appeal to me more if they were to have that light, crisp crunchiness. In my humble opinion, the char siew actually ranks higher than the roast duck. 

=====

Address
930 Yishun Ave 2, 
Staff Canteen,
Yishun Bus Interchange, 
Singapore 769098

Pricing
Char Siew, Roast Duck Platter - S$11.00
Additional Roast Duck - S$5.00 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:35 PM

    On 6 Feb 2022 at 1520 hrs, order the noodles, haven't finish my order, asking the question, the staff shouting at me, very rude staff attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:17 PM

    Please report this Roasted duck stall and make them famous!

    ReplyDelete