Wednesday, March 17, 2021

49 Seats - A Casual Eating Place @ The Centrepoint [Orchard, Singapore]

When one doesn't know what to have for lunch, one could just go online and search on google map for nearby eateries with good reviews. Which was what we did two weekends ago, and chanced upon 49 Seats, with a rating of over 4.0 from over 600 reviewers! 

Can't say the raw, messy decor was pleasing to the eyes but hey, I am here for the food. Was more curious if there were indeed 49 seats and no, it has way more than that! According to their website, their original store did start out with 49 seats and the name kind of stick. 

List of their signature dishes and I read that their tom yam seafood pasta was highly recommended! You can apparently requested for level 49 spiciness but knowing my limit, I am happy to stay put with the original level of spiciness. p.s. you can upgrade to a set meal (includes a drink and soup) for just S$4.90.

Drinks available; for set meal, I remember you can only choose from those below S$3.00. Being the stingy me, it would mean paying a minimum of S$1.90 for the soup. 

Since no service charge was imposed, kindly make your way to order at the counter, inform your table number to the service staff, make payment, and then wait for your food. 

My ice lemon tea was canned from Seasons; to think that I was hoping for something different. Well, can't complain much for S$3.00 even though a calculative person would think of the pretty good profit margin for something you can easily purchase from most convenience stalls / supermarkets at a much reduced cost.

Mushroom soup was served visually better with a piece of garlic toast. Sadly, the soup tasted suspiciously like the kind you get from canned campbell's, with maybe a bit more mushroom bits. To be honest, I did regret upgrading my main to a set.

Chicken Chop
- the chop didn't wow us and we were in fact more impressed with freshness of the accompanying salad and the mashed potato which won the thumbs-up from Alex. 

Tom Yam Seafood Pasta - even before the plate was put on our table, I had already caught whiffs of the appetising tom yam aroma! Can't wait to dig in! 

Counting three prawns, one mussel and a few pieces of small clams. Gravy was rich, thick and flavourful but the pasta fell short of expectation; the cloyingness got to me halfway through the meal. Of course I couldn't help comparing this to the tom yum seafood pasta from Good Bites Café; and it's a no fight, the latter was better. 

Didn't finish my meal. :(

=====

Address
 
176 Orchard Rd,
#01-49, The Centrepoint, 
Singapore 238843

Website

Pricing
Chicken Chop - S$13.90
Tom Yam Seafood Pasta - S$14.90
Upgrade to Set Meal - S$4.90 each
(Subject to GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment