Sunday, March 07, 2021

8°1 Seafood Tze Char (八度幺海鲜煮炒) @ Yishun Block 747 [Singapore]

There's really nothing to complain about the area I live in; the train station is just a stroll of about 6 minutes, there's a supermarket beside my block and I have three coffee shops within walking distance! 

Usually, there's a resident tze-char stall in each coffee shop and I was quite familiar with the one at Hiap Hoe Eating House at Block 747, until it changed hands twice, I think, in the past few years. At the present moment, the current stall is called 8°1 Seafood.

Given that it was the seventh day of the new lunar year, also known as everyone's birthday, my family decided to give the stall a try since the location is quite convenient for most of my immediate family living in Singapore's most infamous town; Yishun.

Let the feast begin! 

Fried Baby Squid
- from the look of it, the supposedly baby squids appeared to be larger than the size I was accustomed to having in the past. Nevertheless, the crispiness appealed to me and I was glad this was heavily doused with sweetness instead of spiciness. p.s. some of you might find them overly sweet.

Sweet and Sour Pork - So long Jerald join us for tze char meals, sweet and sour pork would be a must-order! These had the desirable old school gu-lu-rou flavour but don't wait too long as the otherwise crispy texture would turn chewy! 

Salted Egg Sotong - caked thickly of the delicious salted egg sauce, these were good in my opinion, albeit the batter was a bit too much; however, a few of my family members didn't quite like the texture of the sotong which I personally thought were acceptable.

Marmite Chicken - I am well acquainted with the marmite flavour this this tasted more like sweet butter, instead of marmite! Don't get me wrong; they still tasted alright but would get cloying after a while.

Hotplate Tofu - normal; I am aware I am usually quite neutral about this dish as it hardly surprises. Not sure why we ordered also since Jovyn decided to order western food from another stall instead.  

Egg Gravy Hor Fun - a long, long time ago, my favourite hor fun came from the tze char stall in the same coffee shop. Pity the version for this 'new' stall didn't wow me and I think my carbohydrate need can be satisfied elsewhere. 

Yangzhou Fried Rice
- for a period of time, this was one dish that Alex always bought for takeaway and I tell you, the aroma was so tempting; I stole a few bites even though I already had dinner! 

The wok hei was obvious in every bite but maybe because we had so many other dishes; the flavour was relatively diluted and it didn't help that the prawns and char siew were diced up too finely. Maybe I should ask for takeaway next time, and throw in some gourmet bak kwa for that extra punch! 

Number One Superior Pot - just like hotplate beancurd, I have no affinity with this dish as it's just a saucy mish mash of expensive ingredients commonly comprising of sea cucumbers, prawns, scallops, fish, mushrooms that the older generation tends to enjoy for reasons unknown to me.  

Burp! 

=====

Address
Blcok 747, Yishun Street 72,
#01-108, Hiap Hoe Eating House.
Singapore 760747

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Fried Baby Squid (S) - S$12.00 
Sweet and Sour Pork (L) - S$20.00
Salted Egg Sotong (M) - S$16.00
Marmite Chicken (M) - S$15.00
Hotplate Tofu (S) - S$10.00
Egg Gravy Hor Fun - S$4.50
Yangzhou Fried Rice - S$4.00
Number One Superior Pot (L) - S$30.00
(NETT)

No comments:

Post a Comment