Tuesday, March 30, 2021

The Dark Gallery Cafe - Discover the Dark @ Ngee Ann City [Orchard, Singapore]

Despite having a full lunch at The Sushi Bar, there would always be room for desserts, and conveniently located just a few floors below the Japanese restaurant was The Dark Gallery! The name didn't register in my mind even though I frequently passed by its original store whenever I was at Millenia Walk! 

Although famed for its chocolate selection, I am actually not that obsessed with chocolates. Most importantly, we just needed a space to sit, relax and mingle while having a slice of cake, waffle for sharing, and hot drinks. 

Delish looking cakes; now that I do bake every now and then, I think it's about time for me to go through some official training for cake decoration and piping so that I can save on buying cakes in the future! 

Ice cream and yes, we did see some dark-coloured shades there that consisted of chocolate ice cream with cocoa level that went as high as an intense 88%! Non chocolate lovers would be assured to know there were other types like sweet strawberry, red velvet, caramel latte, Japanese macha etc. 

Available toppings for your ice cream as above! 

Got a table and seats! For a cafe called the dark gallery, the atmosphere was not sinister and darkness didn't seem be the mainstay or focus in the interior design. Maybe I expected too much from a name. Whatever the case, let's now draw your attention to the desserts.

Signature Dark Chocolate Cake - covered with a 66% dark chocolate mousse, it didn't taste as strong of bitter chocolate as anticipated even though I was more disappointed with the dense texture of the sponge cake. Was it bad? No, it wasn't. Would I order again in the future? Nope.

Single Origin Mocha - forgot about the drinks! Even though I am a huge fan of local coffee like kopi gao, I would usually go for mocha when I am at westernized cafes. This cup of mocha was one of the better ones I have had with a rich, creamy texture. Pity it was my friend's order; oh well, I managed to steal a sip and love what went into my mouth! 

Hazelnut Hot Chocolate - of course we need to have a glass of hot chocolate for a place renowned for its chocolate right?! Sadly, it wasn't wholesome chocolatey and there's a spiced tinge to it which I didn't enjoy. My amateurish taste buds also didn't catch much of a hazelnut whiff; to be fair, my friend did. 

Waffle with Ice Cream - can't resist ordering the waffle (original) which was priced a bit high at S$18.00 although you would be given two scoop of ice cream with two servings of toppings! 

Obviously, we had to have one scoop of dark chocolate ice cream with the highest cocoa level; the sur del lago (88%). Another would be the genmaicha ice cream. 

To be fair, I am in reality not a chocolate person although I do like the occasional bitter sweetness from amazing dark chocolate. This sur del lago, sadly, didn't appeal to me; maybe I am better off with cheapo chocolates. Genmaicha was comparatively better. Waffle wise, didn't impress; texture wasn't crispy enough and inside was gummy. Saving grace; the caramelised almonds! 

=====

Address
391 Orchard Road, 
Takashimaya Shopping Centre, 
Ngee Ann City,  #B2-29,
Singapore 238873

Website

Menu (not comprehensive)
As above.

Pricing
Signature Dark Chocolate Cake - S$9.00
Single Origin Mocha - S$8.00
Hazelnut Hot Chocolate - S$9.00
Waffle with Ice Cream - S$18.00
(Inclusive of GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment