Saturday, July 01, 2023

Atlas Bar @ Parkview Square, also known as Gotham City Building in Singapore

Singapore's cityscape architecture is not known for its creativity before the early 2000s but all that changed when the 144-meter high Parkview Square was completed in 2002. 

Known fondly as the Gotham City building, it was built in the art deco style popularized in the 1920s and while it might not look like much from afar; the devil is in the details.

Dotted with numerous sculptures and statues in and around the building, it was said that a photoshoot would set you back by as back as S$5,000, and that was the amount I heard about a decade ago. 

Whatever the case, my purpose of visit was to check out Atlas Bar, which was, at one time, listed as Asia's top bar in the world! I have been trying to secure a reservation for their high tea, without any success, and it was decided that I would just walk in! 

I didn't bring my DSLR; a shame as the pictures taken would have been much better, I feel. Nevertheless, this was a iconic sight to behold; a 3-storey gin tower said to house over a thousand gins! Not that it matters for me since I drink more beer than gin. 

The whole bar exuded a classic aura of opulence and I think it would be even nicer at night, although I always prefer natural illumination for easier photo taking. 

We weren't seated immediately as the bar was full at about 3.30pm and it was a wait of about 30 minutes before we were given seats near the windows where the setting sun warmed us! p.s. it was hot!!

Capturing the signature ATLAS memento; it's time to go up to the second level. 
Do note not to bring your drinks, and flash photography is disallowed.

Let's walk up! It's great that the establishment thought of having this option as otherwise; many customers would be jostling to capture shots on the ground floor and these could be a disturbance for fellow customers. 

Elevated view on the second level. With an impressive 15-meter high ceiling, with steel-like columns and murals, I was in awe of the sheer glamour of the designs. There appeared to be a walkway right beneath the ceiling; I wonder if public can access. 

Noticing there were stairs leading up the gin tower, I enquired and understood that the other side was off limit. Bet many would take the bottles of gin as props for selfies. 

Last shot of my friend as more and more people were coming up to take photos! Do keep in mind to limit your photo-taking to no more than five minutes. 

Drinks' time! Pilsner Urquell from the Tap beer and The Grand Pour champagne cocktail. Mine was the beer given how hot it was and it was a delight to have, although I still have better affections for Japanese beer.

Lobster Roll - we weren't too keen with more food as two hours had yet to pass since lunch at Beef Sukiyaki Don Keisuke! A visual treat, the lobster meat was crunchy and nice, and went well with the toasty, crisp brioche bread; a cheaper alternative to burger and lobster where the lobster roll cost S$46 now! 

Carrot Cake - moist and delicious, with plenty of walnuts and without being overladen with sugar! I must check out the recipe that a friend shared with me previously. 

Orange Blossom Martini - said to have hints of chocolate and orange, I am afraid my unrefined taste buds didn't manage to catch any of those hints, except for a lil bit of mintness! 

A few other random photos. Atlas Bar opened at the same time as Parkview Square which put it at an age of more than two decades. Although it's no longer Asia's top bar, it still commanded a pretty reputable global rank of 67 according to the list here.  

Rainbow due to a reflection! 

Personally, it's another item struck off my humble bucket list, where we paid almost S$150 for two persons. Any learning points? Once is enough even though it's a place where you might be able to impress your dates; I prefer KOMA though.  

=====

Address
Ground floor, 600 North Bridge Rd, 
Parkview Square,  Singapore188778

Map
As above. 

Website

Ala-Carte Menu for Tea Time

As above.

Pricing
Pilsner Urquell from the Tap - S$18.00
The Grand Pour - S$28.00
Lobster Roll - S$36.00
Carrot Cake - S$12.00
Orange Blossom Martini - S$28.00
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment