Friday, July 14, 2023

Yao Yao Ping Restaurant @ Klang in Malaysia

When one travels, it's always beneficial to have a local friend and that's what we did for our inaugural trip to Klang, where we were brought to places popular with locals, and not inundated with foreigners! 

One of the places was this restaurant known as yao yao ping, which is directly translated to shake shake ice. I was pre-informed by the friend that it's an ice dessert that he visited since he was a child. I must admit that this friend is only about 20 over years and not exactly middle-aged like me.

My best description is that it's a cross between ice cream and shaved ice in the way that the shaved ice would pre-shave and with added flavorings before being compressed into ice cream-like tubs. 

It's like flavored ice with flavors like watermelon, pineapple, sour plum, red bean, bo bo char char and chendol. What I didn't realize is that I can choose to mix a few flavors into one cup!

Nevertheless, they were thirst quenching and refreshing under the extremely hot weather, and I didn't feel they were artificially flavored. I especially like my sour plum yao yao bing with the right balance of icy sourness and sweetness.

Forgot to share the dining area! Despite its coffee shop outlook, it was air-conditioned with fans bringing extra breeze to the interior. 

I noted there were other stalls in the restaurant and the first thing that caught my attention wasn't the shaved ice. It was the irresistible aroma of grilled chicken wing!  

Aside from the grilled chicken wing, I noted many tables had fried chicken too but I shouldn't overly indulged with my recent weight gain, although I did get the egg burger.

Grilled chicken wing was sadly average tasting even though it could have performed better if the stall operator had passed me one that was fresh from bring barbecued above the burning charcoal.  

Egg burger was okay too; just something I would purposely order if I were to revisit again. However, there's something that went so well with egg and chicken that I will make sure to have the fried chicken with it in my next visit.

The chilli! Despite being too fluid, it had a manageable spiciness that tasted like a mixture of chicken rice chill and sambal chilli. So glad it was given even though I didn't request for it.

Eh.... I saw a wanton mee stall too! I do enjoy the Malaysian style, black sauce wanton mee and at just RM 7 for a small portion, about  S$2.00, it was decided a small plate wouldn't do "much" harm. My logic can be so warped sometimes. 

Sweet, smooth and oily; the way they should be in Malaysia. Again, I think it was alright to fill the tummy but not when you are looking for the best wanton mee in Malaysia. 

Now, I feel so guilty for having so much as the rest didn't really want to share as we had just had bak kut teh at Samy not more than half an hour ago! 

=====

Address
1503, Jalan Young, Pandamaran, 
42000 Pelabuhan Klang, Selangor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment