Sunday, July 02, 2023

Twin Star Dim Sum @ Yishun Block 732 [Singapore]

Twin Star Dim Sum is literally just a 200-meter walk from my apartment but I resisted patronizing it as the queue was terribly long and Alex, who ate it with his friend, gave the food the thumbs-down. 

I realized the line seemed much shorter nowadays and invited my parents over for breakfast one weekend morning. Turned out the stall had a real strange ordering system; I was asked to return after ten minutes as they were too busy! 

Problem was; I didn't know how many people had been turned away the same way! And to be frank, I was pretty hungry for dim sum that morning! I turned up right at the front of the line when it was about ten minutes and without a hitch, I ordered, paid for it, and received a pager. Lucky 7, I hope.

Now, some basic info about the stall. Helmed by twin brothers, the stall's popularity spiked when they were featured on 8 days and appeared to be doing a roaring business nowadays. 

With over twenty dim sum items on the menu, it's fascinating that I secured my first batch of dim sum in only about seven minutes after ordering! Time for my review! 

Deep Fried Taro Dumpling - while it was a generous portion of yam filling, the sauce failed to enhance the original earthly flavor and increase its palatability. I guess there are some who would enjoy the original yam taste.

BBQ Pork Bun - even with its look, I must say these char siew bao looked delish, with the filling on the verge of bursting out of the buns!

I love them; the buns were pillow-soft and extra credits for the char siew filling which were both savory and sweet, a combination I found to be most desirable when it comes to BBQ pork buns. 

Runny Custard Bun - first thing that came to mind; they were too orangey! Were too much coloring used? Sometimes, too vibrant a color might not be a good thing when it comes to food.

Nonetheless, taste matters most and this didn't disappoint! The skin was a bit thick; however, the liquified custard was so sinfully oily nice! So yummy it was that I would have ignored any health warning! 

Siu Mai - one of the regular dim sum dishes, it makes for easier comparison across dim sum stalls, eateries and restaurants. Hence, you would see me ordering a basket every time. 

Not too bad; albeit, a bit porky.

Prawn Siu Mai
- price differential with normal siew mai was just a mere 60 cents difference. Let's have a basket too since 20 cents a prawn was too great a deal.

Having the prawns made a difference to the taste and this was like a cross between siew mai and har gow. These would be something I shall re-order in the future.  

Crystal Prawn Dumpling - although also a regular for dim sum as a whole, my affection for this wasn't great as not many dim sum establishments have the ability to make them unforgettable good. And these ones at twin star were pathetically small. Taste was alright. 

Crispy Prawn Dumpling - you know what these reminded me of after I took a bite? The seafood dumplings from Chop Hean Kuan Dim Sum at People's Park Hawker Centre, although a less amazing version. Skin was crispy! 

Crispy Beancurd Skin Roll - forgot to take a standalone pic for this; although agreeable in taste, they were of room temperature; likely left out in the open for too long. 

Traditional HK Steamed Rice Roll - was it normal to have peanut butter drenched over chee cheong fun? I thought it was pretty nice even though my parents didn't find it acceptable. Maybe I should have gone with the original steamed rice roll instead.

Red Bean Sesame Ball - known as golden pile in Singapore, I loved the bite of aromatic sesame seeds as my teeth sank into its mochi-like texture! Best of all, the red bean paste was rather muted in sweetness, which I would prefer.

Pan Fried Radish Dish - waited the longest for this and they turned out to be disappointing. There was too much flour and only the top layer was crisp. You know where you can find extremely good pan fried radish? At Mongkok Dim Sum (旺角點心) along Upper Thomson (Next to Springleaf MRT)

=====

11 dim sum items, finished by three persons! In a nutshell, there were some misses but the prices shall be the main motivation factor as I only paid about S$42, plus the fact I am literally just minutes' away from home. I would know what to avoid in my next visit; definitely no har gow. And the twin brothers should consider improving their ordering system! 

Address
732 Yishun Ave 5, 
Within TST Coffeeshop,
Singapore 760732

Map 
As above.

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/Twinstardimsum

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Deep Fried Taro Dumpling - S$3.90
BBQ Pork Bun - S$3.90
Runny Custard Bun - S$3.60
Prawn Siu Mai - S$4.50 
Siu Mai - S$3.90
Crystal Prawn Dumpling - S$3.90
Crispy Prawn Dumpling - S$3.90
Crispy Beancurd Skin Roll - S$3.90 
Traditional HK Steamed Rice Roll - S$3.60
Red Bean Sesame Ball - S$3.60
Pan Fried Radish Dish - S$3.60 
(Nett)

No comments:

Post a Comment