Saturday, May 13, 2023

Beef Sukiyaki Don Keisuke - Kiwami Wagyu (Kyushu King Kuroge Wagyu A4) at Onze @ Tanjong Pagar [Singapore]

The last time I visited Onze @ Tanjong Pagar for
Sugar And Tease (watermelon cake), and Guann (元), the only shop that had a queue was Beef Sukiyaki Don Keisuke! 

It's finally time for me to give it a try when my old-time friend suggested the restaurant for a get-together! Do note that the queue for waiting was outside the building as the eatery didn't want to clog up the narrow passage. 

While beef was their signature, you may opt for pork don too! I was contemplating between the US Prime Beef or the Kiwami Wagyu; latter of which was doubled the price of the former.

If only this was translated to English. Anyway, I did a Google Translate and it's just information that the Kiwami Wagyu (Kyushu King Kuroge Wagyu A4) was graded by the "Japan Meat Grading Association". 

Eatery had limited seating capacity; if I am not wrong, it was only about 12 seats. There's an advantage though; diners usually don't linger around given how cramped it was and would normally leave after they had completed their meals. Furthermore, it was hot inside the eatery!

Open kitchen! 

The chefs preparing the bowls that would have included the rice, cabbage and glass noodles. Most important ingredient, the beef, would require dedicated efforts which I would be sharing shortly.

Pickles in bowls on the long table were free flow; don't take a large portion! A sample portion would be better in case you don't like the taste of the supposedly pickled vegetables. I didn't like it as they were too raw and bland tasting.   

Complimentary as part of our beef don; miso soup, chawanmushi and onsen egg! I actually forgot about the onsen egg, which should have been added to the beef bowl! 

Chawanmushi had a thick layer of delicious broth; that was the thing that impressed me more than the steamed egg, which was still nice but honestly nothing to really scream about.

Action area where a metal pot was placed on top of an induction cooktop. You may also find the bowl of pickled vegetables and also wooden containers housing the ichimi (red chilli pepper), the yuzu shicimi (Japanese spice)) and sansho (peppercorns).

We have to eat bigger on the last working day of the week! Hence, here's the highly graded Kyushu King Kuroge Wagyu A4. p.s. not the highest though since A5 is the top-ranked grade. 

I really don't like it when they cooked in front of me! The sizzling of the wagyu, coupled with the irresistible aroma; elements attacking my senses that made me much hungrier than expected! 

Final touches! 

Picture perfect - I am the type who loves to leave the best for the last! Therefore, I shall attack the accompanying liao like mushrooms, cabbage etc first. Loving the cabbage which appeared to be stewed; soft yet crunchy! 

Satisfying slice of pinkish wagyu beef that tasted so juicy and dripping of beef fats; slurpy shiokness! It did help that the sukiyaki sauce contributed to a slight sweetness that made eating it with rice so darn pleasurable! 

Neutral towards this glass noodles; rice would be sufficient. 

Almost missed out this saucer of sukiyaki sauce (leftovers from the cooking process) that you die-die have to try dipping a piece of the beef in before throwing it into your mouth! A prefect moment of utter bliss.

Pangs of guilt enveloped me when I saw the above. For someone who had been trying to control his carbohydrate intake, I literally cleaned up the entire bowl without leaving even a single grain! 

S$29.90 for this Kyushu King Kuroge Wagyu A4 sukiyaki don was a tad expensive for my wallet if I were to eat often. Maybe I should opt for the cheaper US Prime Beef in my next visit. 

=====

Address
11 Kee Seng St, #01-01,
Onze @ Tanjong Pagar, 
Singapore 089218

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
11.30 am to 2.30 pm
5.00 pm to 10.00 pm
(Daily)

Website

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Kiwami Wagyu Sukiyaki Don - S$29.90
(Subject to Service Charges and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment