Saturday, July 08, 2023

Restoran Samy Bak Kut Teh (HQ) - Klang Bak Kut Teh @ Klang in Malaysia

The war between Malaysia style bak kut and Singapore style bak kut teh has continued for a long period of time, and the epitome of Malaysia style bak kut teh was said to be at Klang, which I happened to visit in my recent trip to the nearby Petaling Jaya! 

We met up with a friend who resided there and he brought us to this street known as Jalan Chan Ah Choo that was filled with bak kut teh eateries and the local recommendation was this Restoran Samy Bak Kut Teh (HQ) which operated only from 7am till noon. 

Seeing the heavily stained yet nearly empty pot piqued my interest and increased my expectation. Being accustomed to ordering bak kut teh in Singapore, I was looking forward to a hot bowl of pork rib soup. 

While there was pork rib option, it was unfortunately sold out for the day. Other options were not commonly seen in Singapore, like soft bone, pork belly, small bone, big bone, pork leg, pork heel; honestly, parts that I either don't know or don't like to eat. 

Whatever the case, I made a choice for big bone. Before it came, let's have some traditional Chinese tea in mini teacups. It's more a bak kut teh (BKT) ritual as I could definitely make do with a larger cup of teh o kosong. 

Didn't take too long for our BKT to arrive! What was the first thing I noticed from the above? The color difference between Singapore and Malaysia BKT was common knowledge but in this case, what was glaring at my face was the apparent lack of soup! Thank goodness our friend did mention we can request for free top up.

Another thing that caught my attention and something all BKT eateries in Singapore should adopt; having plain white rice that was mixed with fried shallots! They brought irresistible aroma to the rice, and I totally can't resist them! 

Now on the main star - the meat was tender with a thick layer of pork fat. Personally, I would still prefer pork rib as it was just something I had associated with BKT since fat and it just felt wrong to have other parts. Soup wise, it was savory although lacking the strong herbal flavor I had expected from Malaysia style bkt.

The soup was still nice though, although the refill was just as pathetically little. And I am leaving aside the layer of pork fat. I only love pork fats when they are deep fried. 

Now, my purpose here wasn't to compare both countries BKT. I like either one of them because in my heart, both have their strengths; I sometimes enjoy peppery soup and sometimes, herbal soup. So stop the war and let's have our BKT, as close neighbors.

=====

Address
164A, Jalan Chan Ah Choo, Pandamaran, 
42000 Pelabuhan Klang, Selangor, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Pricing
Bak Kut Teh - RM 16.00 per bowl
Rice - RM 1.50 per bowl
Tea - RM 6.00 per pot

No comments:

Post a Comment