Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Woodfire - Inexpensive Yet Super Good Burger @ Johor Bahru in Malaysia

Just when I thought a burger could never get better than Burger Labo, the Great Kon shared of an eatery in the nearby Malaysian city of Johor Bahru that served not just amazing burgers; the prices were a fraction of what we would have paid in the expensive lion city! 

This was actually my second visit to Woodfire and I took the opportunity to walk from the Malaysian checkpoint to its branch behind Johor Bahru High Court, a distance of  less than two kilometers. Definitely doable on a cloudy day.

Photographs of its façade and interior; reminded me of an American diner. Despite the high review rating of 4.7 from over 1,700 reviewers on Google map, I managed to find seats, easily, on both visits! Maybe the crowd would only kick in during peak mealtimes. 

A Muslim-owned establishment, I would strongly recommend Woodfire to my many Muslim friends, although I bet some (including non Muslims) would argue that Ramly burger stalls (like Fendy's Burger Stall) are more worth it! 

Just the look of the range of burgers on display would make me swallow my saliva! For the purpose of this review, I shall be ordering burgers again although what I really want to try in my next visit would likely be the smoke lamb ribs.

Butter Soda -  gassy, carbonated and sweet; if the aforementioned appealed to you, another key advantage was its similarity to popcorn; as if we are drinking liquified sweet, butter popcorn! Pity I don't enjoy carbonate drink that much, and this was a tad too sweet for me. 

Beef and Cheese Fries - I assumed it was minced beef although the description on menu clearly stated sliced beef, which would essentially be more worth it right?! Sadly, the beef was tough and the fries were cold. Kudos to the cheese sauce, however, as we couldn't resist taking fry after fry!

Gourmet Beef Burger - when it comes to burgers, I would prefer going for original for ease of comparison. To me, if you can't get basic burger right; there's absolutely no impetus for me to try the rest of the burgers.

At just RM 19.90 (only about S$6.00); buns were soft, the homemade beef patty was lightly charred, resulting in an enslaving smokiness added with a generous douse of spicy salted egg yolk sauce; so unforgettably delicious! Compared to my first visit though; this patty was drier this time. It would have been perfect.

Beef Brisket Burger - thanks to the Great Kon, I got the opportunity to take a few bites of the beef brisket burger, the most expensive on the menu and one that literally had overflowing ingredients! 

I happily took two bites as the Kon was still feeling full from his morning breakfast at Alex at another restaurant! p.s. I joined them only after my half day work from my home, taking an afternoon leave from work.

Aside from the satisfaction of biting into huge chunks of juicy beef, this had a more intense smoky BBQ flavor than the Gourmet Beef Burger; thanks to the BBQ sauce! There's another thing I enjoyed; the additional of fries shallots, which put it on to another level of texture and aroma! 

=====

Before and after! Definitely going to check out the rest of the burgers in my next visit. Maybe their gourmet chicken burger or even the nutella biscoff waffle! So much to eat; so small the stomach!   

Address
2, Jalan Air Molek, Bandar Johor Bahru, 
Jalan Air Molek, 80000 Johor Bahru, 
Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
Mondays to Thursdays - 12.00 pm to 10.00 pm
Fridays - 3.00 pm to 12.00 am
Saturdays and Sundays - 12.00 pm to 12.00 am

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Butter Soda - RM 6.90
Beef and Cheese Fries - RM 16.90
Gourmet Beef Burger - RM 19.90
Beef Brisket Burger - RM 38.90
(Subject to Service Tax)

No comments:

Post a Comment