Sunday, July 09, 2023

Dim Sum in Restoran Oversea @ 1 Utama Shopping Centre in Petaling Jaya [Malaysia]

I still remember my first visit to Restoran Oversea at its flagship outlet near Berjaya Times Square Kuala Lumpur, where I was blown away by its  sticky, honey glazed char siew. 

Hence, when I chanced upon its branch at 1 Utama Shopping Centre, we decided to have our breakfast there after checking (and confirming) that there were dim sum options.

It's like a mini banquet setting in the restaurant, which I thought wasn't good use of limited space! Whatever the case, there was another smaller section, with rectangular / square tables for our group of  two persons.

With just two persons, one of whom is known to have a tiny stomach space, it didn't take us long to indicate what we would love to have on the dim sum order sheet (shall it at the end of the post).

A pot of Pu Erh Tea - essential to wash down all the starch and oil, supposedly. Transiting to tea is always testament that age is catching up and middle aged us are doing what we can to slow down the inevitable process.

Golden Custard Buns - it's hard not to notice that I would order this whenever I see it on the menu, similar to siew mai. For har gow, I am actually less inclined given that most fall below expectations. 

Tasty, with a dough that wasn't too thick, packed with overflowing custard sauce that had just the right amount of sweetness without being overly oily. I actually love buns but given their high starch content, I had to eat in moderation. Missing the days with high metabolism, when I can eat tons without gaining much weight.

Fresh River Prawns Porridge - Alex's requested for this and I was wondering where were the river prawns?! I would have assumed this was plain congee.

They were buried inside and I must commend the prawns for their fresh crunchiness! Flavor of the gruel-like consistency congee was more ginger-infused rather than seafood, which was a bummer as I was expecting something similar to lobster porridge
 
Prawns Chee Cheong Fun - again, Another Alex's must order and I guess you can say we have our differences in dim sum favorites. Smooth rolls, not overly thick and drenched with a unique sauce that was strangely bland yet flavorful. p.s. Alex's review was that he loved this!

Siew Mai - meaty and satisfyingly delicious! To be frank, I have eaten enough siew mail in my life and while there were interesting ones from Fantastic Dim Sum, nothing came close to beating the siew mai from Kai Duck

Szechuan Dumplings - I wouldn't have ordered this by its English name but the Chinese name indicated these would be the dumplings in hot chilli oil, which I would occasionally order if there is a craving.

Strangely, the meaty filling had bites of sour vegetables (quite common for Szechuan cuisine), which Alex didn't enjoy although I was quite happy with this different version.

Honey Glazed Char Siew - the one I remember so well from our first visit at its first outlet along Jalan Imbi, which kick started my love for such sticky-sweet char siew. 

Now that I have tried a lot of other similar char siew, I must say I love how fatty they were even though the sticky caramelized sweet sauce had a tendency to stick to my teeth! Char siew was still good but it's better to share with a bigger group as they got cloyingly sweet after I had a few pieces. 

======

Before and after! 
Yes, couldn't finish the char siew. 

Address
Lot G218, Ground Floor, Old Wing, 
1 Utama Shopping Centre, 1, Lebuh Bandar Utama, 
Bandar Utama, 47800 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Website

Dim Sum Menu
As above.

Pricing
Pu Erh Tea - RM 5.00 a person
Golden Custard Buns - RM 13.80
Fresh River Prawns Porridge - RM 18.80
Prawns Chee Cheong Fun - RM 15.80
Siew Mai - RM 11.80
Szechuan Dumplings - RM 13.80
Honey Glazed Char Siew - RM 43.00
(Subject to Service Charge and Tax)

No comments:

Post a Comment