Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Happy Chef Western Food - Happy Chef Chicken & Lamb Chop @ North Bridge Rd (near ICA Building & Lavender MRT Station) [Singapore]

Knowing my love for lamb chops, which are pretty pricey at many Western food stalls in Singapore, the Great Kon kindly shared about the ones he had at a coffee shop near ICA building at Lavender. 

And it turned out to be the Western stall I had always wanted to try whenever I sent my friend back to her home at the nearby Crawford Lane! Back then, Happy Chef was located at Block 466, which faces the carpark gantry.

Menu might look like your typical one from old-school Western stalls but look closer and you would notice unique names like chicken kiev, everbroom pork chop, fish shnizel. In addition, you are allowed to choose two sides (ranging from rice, mashed potato, coleslaw, potato salad, spaghetti, sunshine egg, french fries, garden veg to spicy veg pickle) to go with your mains.  

Our main objective is the lamb chop but since there were two of us, let's also have their happy chef chicken as the man taking our order appeared happy and friendly; and it just seemed appropriate to order something of their namesake. 

Lamb Chop
- with garden vegetables and mashed potato, the first thing I noticed were the two huge slabs of lamb chop; that's pretty generous given that it only cost us S$8.50! 

Taste wise, I thought it was normal; didn't wow me as much since I recently had a real good one at El Carbon Grill House in Yishun! Nonetheless, Happy Chef's lamb chops were darn worth it, given the price and that not many Western stalls serve lamb chops that were less than decent. 

Happy Chef Chicken
- frankly, it didn't look much different from your typical chicken chop, except for maybe reddish brown sauce poured over it. 

Not really in a carbohydrate mood and with that in mind, I opted for the fried egg and coleslaw. Well, can't say much about the sunshine egg as it was what to be expected. Coleslaw was alright. Garlic bun was peppery and superbly crispy; surprisingly, I prefer it softer and fluffier. 

Chicken, by itself, was as expected; didn't deviate much from your old school chicken chop, sans the light sweetness from the Western Barbeque stall at Old Airport Road. What's most impressive was the sauce; there was that addictive sweet, savoury flavour that totally elevated the chicken! You absolutely need it to go with the chicken. 

Friends would know I don't like mashed potato but the Great Kon insisted on giving me a portion from his lamb chop! Most mashed potatoes had the gravy drenched on them but the one from Happy Chef had the gravy mixed in. Interestingly, I like it much better served in the Happy Chef way and surprise, surprise; I actually eat it all up! 

=====

Great meal, great company! Guess I would be back to try the other mains on their menu; for example, pork chop, farmer's chicken dinner, teriyaki fish. Maybe I should ask my friend who used to stay there to give her take on what to eat too! 

Address
Block 465, North Bridge Rd, #01-5041 
465 Foodcourt, Singapore 191465

Map
As above.

Pricing
Lamb Chop - S$8.50
Happy Chef Chicken - S$7.00

No comments:

Post a Comment