Monday, January 11, 2021

Ocean Curry Fish Head @ Block 92, Toa Payoh Lorong 4 [Singapore] #curryfishhead

In August 2020, I happily arranged tp meet up with my mom to visit Toa Payoh so that we can grab some irresistible Uggli muffins. Alas, we were too late and there were only a handful of stalls opened for business; none of which caught our fancy.

We wandered around and accidentally chanced upon this snaking long queue comprising of almost 20 persons! Hunger was almost making us crazy and we eventually settled with kim keat hokkien mee! Nonetheless, I told myself to return for the source of the queue! 

It took me four months and let me, now, introduce you to the source - Ocean Curry Fish Head. My mom and elder sister's family had actually visited the place before; I know why I didn't join; to be frank, I am not that big a fan of curry fish head until after circuit breaker.

The queue was actually for the chap chye png (economic rice) dishes for takeaways although for dining in, you do order from the same dishes on display, with options to top up with their signature curry fish head.

For dining in, please don't join the queue for chap chye png; just proceed to the inside of the coffeeshop where there's a separate cashier for dine-in order. 

To be frank, I can survive with just the curry fish head and one or two bowls of plain, white rice. However, my sister and brother-in-law would be joining and it's a fact they prefer more dishes as they don't ingest as much carbohydrates. Looking at the pictures would be a good reference on what else we should order.

Sambal Cockles
-  I wouldn't be a fair assessor for this as I don't take cockles at all. My mom and sister would be a more suitable reviewer and given that this would be something they order every time they are at Ocean Curry Fish Head, I presume they like the cockles here! 

Sambal French Beans - one word, delicious! The beans were crunchy and there's this addictive spiciness matched with the healthy sweetness from the vegetables. 

Pork Ribs - supposed to be sweet and sour pork but they were sold off. Replaced with the boneless pork ribs which tasted not bad although not impressive enough to warrant a re-order in the future.

Curry Fish Head - served in a claypot, it was so boiling hot I couldn't take a decent photo! Even Jovyn was taken aback once the lid was removed! p.s. her intended meal wasn't curry fish head though; she had kim keat hokkien mee.

Just to show you how boiling hot the gravy was! 

S$40 was said to be expensive, according to some of the reviewers on Google but my mom, a curry fish head lover, reasoned that it's a full fish head and not the usual half fish head that many other stalls offer. To her, it's a reasonable price.

Curry fish head had a few variances depending on which stall you go to and this one was in the assam style that had an interesting combination of being spicy and zesty, yet giving your mental state an explosive satisfaction that locals would term as shiok! Fish meat was fresh and chunky; my mom, a fish meat lover, gave it a thumbs-up! 

For me, it's a need to have the curry fish head with rice! I do not even need the fish as the curry would be the most important companion! Usually exercising self-control by limiting myself to just one bowl of rice; I had almost two full bowls as the curry was just too addictive with a light, sweet aftertaste; turned out the sweetness came from the pieces of pineapple I found in the curry.

Satisfaction max; almost ordered a third bowl of rice to clean up the remaining gravy! 

=====

Address 
92 Lor 4 Toa Payoh, #01-264, 
Singapore 310092

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
Mondays to Fridays - 11.00 am to 3.00 pm
Mondays to Fridays - 4.30 pm to 9.00 pm
Saturdays to Sundays - 11.00 am to 9.00 pm
Alternate Tuesdays - Off

Order Sheet (in Chinese)
As above.

Pricing
Sambal Cockles - S$10.00
Sambal French Beans - S$4.00
Pork Ribs - S$6.00
Curry Fish Head - S$40.00
Rice - S$0.70 a bowl
(Subject to GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment