Friday, January 29, 2021

Clawsome Bag - Jiao Cai Seafood (蕉财海鲜) @ Yishun Park Hawker Centre [Singapore] #yishunparkhawkercentre

Food choices were aplenty at 
Yishun Park Hawker Centre and deviation from the few favourites we had was quite rare unless something caught our attention; like the time I was seated in front of Jiao Cai Seafood while waiting for my order of BBQ Boneless Chicken Leg from Smokin' Joe.

Poster stating the newest offering on the menu; the clawsome bag which I assumed would be the same as the seafood bag elsewhere! In this case, the S$48 a bag at Jiao Cai would include crab, clams, prawns, mussels, sweet corn and fried mantou! 

Wait was close to 30 minutes! In addition to the clawsome bag, I took the liberty to add a vegetable dish to the meal too. While I am happy eating only seafood / meat, my parents are the traditional kind who prefer some healthy vegetables to balance out the sinful food. 

Four Heavenly Kings - I am presuming that the kings are brinjal, lady fingers, french beans and petai (stink beans). Mildly spicy and stir fried with ikan bilis, the vegetables were tantalizing and provided a nice variety for diners who dislike having too much of one vegetable.

Clawsome Bag
- it would be more appropriate to label this the clawsome pot, rather than bag! Not that it matters to me as it's just a different vessel holding the ingredients. Do note that the stall had run out of crabs that day and I was agreeable to their proposal to replace with crayfishes instead.

Frankly, the gravy tasted just like chilli crab and I personally feel that it was one of the better ones; spicy, tangy, thick and gooey, flavourful with a tinge of tomato flavour that made us want to pour it over plain white rice! 

No complaints about the seafood, in general. I wasn't that happy with the corn though; it's hard to enjoy it as they didn't have much 'meat' in the kernels and the cob broke so easily. Gravy was the highlight and it's so blissful to use the gravy as a dip before throwing the seafood into our mouth! 

I so wanted to tabao the gravy back home! 

The fried buns; the oily type I like. As the fried buns I had in the past two instances were tasteless, I wasn't pining too much hope for these ones from Jiao Cai. 

Turned out they were good; the buns were pillow-soft in the insides, lightly crisp on the outside and had a moderate sweetness that's perfect for the spicy, chilli gravy!  

I counted; 4 crayfishes to replace a 500-600g crab. To be honest, I don't know if it's worth the replacement since crayfish, just like lobster, doesn't have much meat in the first place. Nevertheless, the chance is high I would return to have this clawsome bag again; hopefully the stall would have crabs then.

=====

Address
51 Yishun Avenue 11, 
Yishun Park Hawker Centre, 
#01-39, Singapore 768867

Map
As above.

Pricing
Four Heavenly Kings - S$12.00
Clawsome Bag - S$48.00 

No comments:

Post a Comment