Thursday, November 19, 2020

El Carbon Grill House (Halal) - Delish Lamb Chop @ Yishun Block 717, Food Loft Coffee Shop [Singapore]

Block 717 in Yishun is not far from where I stay but I am embarrassed to say that I had never ventured to the coffee shop in the same block until last week when I jogged over to check out a new shop selling baking supplies! 

Nothing much in the coffee shop as most shops appeared to be operational only in the daytime. Nonetheless, I did notice this western stall (with Halal certification), El Carbon Grill House, and its menu was so tempting; I returned to the coffee shop earlier to this week to give it a try, together with a friend whom I had not met for a year.

My order of lamb chop & sausage, salmon baked pasta and grilled Japanese squid with kicap manis sauce! I took plenty of time to take photos as my friend was late; blur him thought the block was in Sembawang! 

Grilled Japanese Squid with Kicap Manis Sauce
- I was expecting the squid to have the kicap manis (sweet soy sauce) spread on its body before grilling but turned out the slightly spicy sauce was separately dished out as a dip; an anticlimax if you ask me. Truthfully, I could do without the dip as the grilled squid had a nice, smoky flavour that was good on its own. Texture wise, it wasn't rubbery. 

Lamb Chop & Sausage
- my standard order in the past when it comes to Western food stalls at hawker centres / coffee shops was chicken chop but nowadays, I would make it a point to order pork chop if it is available or lamb chop if they appear appetizing on the menu.

At just S$12.00, it included salad, corn cob, spaghetti, slabs of lamb chop and a sausage. Wait, it's missing from the picture right?! Reason being they ran out of sausages and replaced with extra lamb chop instead. I am not complaining. 

Spaghetti was okay; cooked in the aglio olio style, it was al-dente and I cleaned it up in no time. If you prefer non carbohydrates, you can swop it with mashed potatoes, salad. What I don't understand is that I need to top up S$1.00 to change to French fries; would have thought spaghetti is harder to manage compared to French fries but who knows; maybe the French fries are made in-house? 

Coming to the lamb chops; I absolutely love it! They were delicious given the thickness of the meat coupled with the good, old flavour of slightly charred meat that was generously topped with herbs and spices. You know what's the best part when it comes to grilled meat? That irresistible layer of juicy fat!  

After fumbling a while with the fork and knife, I gave up and picked up the bones so that I can continue to gnaw at the pieces of meat that were hard to reach! 

Salmon Baked Pasta
- I just asked my friend earlier this evening if he likes the pasta. He said it's nice and while I didn't manage to take a bite, the one feedback I had was that that picture of the dish on the menu looked a lot more appealing.

=====

Address
Block 717, Yishun Street 71, 
#01-335, Food Loft Coffee Shop,
Singapore 760717

Map
As above.

Website
https://www.elcarbon.sg/

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Grilled Japanese Squid with Kicap Manis Sauce - S$9.50
Lamb Chop & Sausage - S$12.00
Salmon Baked Pasta - S$7.00
(Nett)

No comments:

Post a Comment